BoatBanter.com

-   -   S-786 NWS bill (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/46527-re-s-786-nws-bill.html)

krj July 21st 05 01:36 PM

S-786 NWS bill

Received the following message from Senator Bill Nelson:

Keeping Hurricane Forecasts Free and Accessible
The National Weather Service (NWS) website got nine billion hits in the
six-week period last summer when Florida was repeatedly hit by
hurricanes. A
bill introduced into the Senate would prohibit federal meteorologists from
competing with companies who offer their own forecasts through paid
services
and ad-supported Web sites. If this bill becomes law, the NWS may have
to take
down websites like this one http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ that predicts tropical
storms.

I talked with some NWS forecasters just before Dennis struck. They told me
about a private forecasting company based in Pennsylvania that had been
tracking Dennis, too. But that company predicted Dennis would go into New
Orleans or Mississippi, whereas the NWS tracked that storm to the area
between
Pensacola and Ft. Walton Beach-exactly where it made landfall. If we
did not
have the NWS prediction available and had to rely on the other forecast,
the
people of the Gulf coast of Florida may have let down their guard, with
disastrous results.

The bill that threatens this service is slated to come before the Senate
Commerce Committee. I am a member of that committee, and I will continue my
battle to make sure this excellent government service--that can mean the
difference between life and death--is preserved.

Please do not reply to this message. For additional information about Sen.
Nelson, visit his website at http://billnelson.senate.gov
"billnelson.senate.gov

Glenn Ashmore July 21st 05 03:22 PM

That sounds a lot better than the BS response I received from Saxby
Chambliss and non response from Johnny Isakson. But Nelson is a Democrat.
Santorum is the third most powerful senator on the Republican side and it
seems that all the Republican senators are following their leadership like
sheep. To scared to object to even the most idiotic proposal.

While it is probable that 786 will not make it into law by itself, look for
it to be snuck in as an amendment to some other unrelated bill.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

.. .

DSK July 21st 05 07:45 PM

Dave wrote:
This argument illustrates just how far the free lunch bunch will go in
exploiting the naivete of the unthinking.

You mean, the way people with actual facts who disagree with you, prove
you wrong, and so you have no recourse but to be condescending &
insulting in the hopes you might come out looking better?

Yes, the guvmint people got it right once and the other guys got it wrong.
But had it not been for the former policy of NOAA in not competing where
private industry is willing and able to provide a forecasting and analysis
service, there would be no alternative sources of analysis and forecasts.

You mean like the ones that got it wrong? What a great alternative,
especially considering that the taxpayers are already funding the right
answer and your side wants to deny the service to those who have paid
for it.

.... We
would indeed have had to rely on a single forecast-- the "official" one --
as the only available forecast.

Sort of like the way the Bush Administration uses gov't funds to pay for
fake news, and wishes heartily that this was our only source of info?

Sounds good, nyet?

DSK

Don W July 21st 05 10:39 PM

Dave,

This argument illustrates just how far the free lunch bunch will go in
exploiting the naivete of the unthinking.

Give it up! Your statement is just abusive. First you call anyone who
disagress with your position "the free lunch bunch". Then you suggest that
anyone inclined to agree with them is naive and unthinking.

If you want anyone to respect your opinion, you've got to show respect
for the right of other people to have differing opinions. Otherwise you're
just trying to start an argument.

Don W.

Dave wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:36:03 -0400, krj said:

If we
did not
have the NWS prediction available and had to rely on the other forecast,
the
people of the Gulf coast of Florida may have let down their guard, with
disastrous results.

This argument illustrates just how far the free lunch bunch will go in
exploiting the naivete of the unthinking.

Yes, the guvmint people got it right once and the other guys got it wrong.
But had it not been for the former policy of NOAA in not competing where
private industry is willing and able to provide a forecasting and analysis
service, there would be no alternative sources of analysis and forecasts. We

DSK July 21st 05 11:04 PM

You mean like the ones that got it wrong?

Dave wrote:
Doug, if I had $5 for every time NOAA got the marine forecast wrong, I'd be
a wealthy man

I agree. But that has ZERO relevance to the issue at hand. In the case
you were discussing above, NOAA got it right and the commercial
forecasters got it wrong... in big way, with lives at stake.

... I'm sure even you recognize the fallacy of arguing from the
proposition that the private company erred once to the conclusion that the
private company gets it wrong more often than NOAA.

So, the private companies can use NOAA data which we paid for, to get
more accurate forecasts? Can you back that premise with any facts?

.... We
would indeed have had to rely on a single forecast-- the "official" one --
as the only available forecast.

Sort of like the way the Bush Administration uses gov't funds to pay for
fake news, and wishes heartily that this was our only source of info?

The odor of red herring is overwhelming me.

You can mask it with your sanctimonious air and atmosphere of condescension.

DSK

Glenn Ashmore July 21st 05 11:11 PM

You sir are a nut case.

--

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:45:56 -0400, DSK said:

Yes, the guvmint people got it right once and the other guys got it
wrong.
But had it not been for the former policy of NOAA in not competing where
private industry is willing and able to provide a forecasting and
analysis
service, there would be no alternative sources of analysis and
forecasts.

You mean like the ones that got it wrong?

Doug, if I had $5 for every time NOAA got the marine forecast wrong, I'd
be
a wealthy man. I'm sure even you recognize the fallacy of arguing from the

Jonathan Ganz July 21st 05 11:46 PM

In article ,
Don W wrote:
Dave,

This argument illustrates just how far the free lunch bunch will go in
exploiting the naivete of the unthinking.

Give it up! Your statement is just abusive. First you call anyone who
disagress with your position "the free lunch bunch". Then you suggest that
anyone inclined to agree with them is naive and unthinking.

If you want anyone to respect your opinion, you've got to show respect
for the right of other people to have differing opinions. Otherwise you're
just trying to start an argument.

Don W.

Davey (I mean DAVE) has been doing this for quite a while. It's kinda
entertaining to listen to him sometimes.

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com

DSK July 22nd 05 02:39 AM

Dave wrote:
My experience is that when one gets paid based on the quality of his
results, those results are likely to be better.

And all you need to do in order to have a horse that make a jump of
height X is to take one horse at a time, and shoot each one that cannot
make the jump.

So, you are making the claim that commercial weather broadcasters should
be allowed to sell us data that we have already paid for because their
forecasts are more accurate?

Don't bogart that joint, my friend.

DSK

prodigal1 July 22nd 05 03:43 AM

Dave wrote:
heavy snippage _with_ prejudice

You sir, do not know McLuhan.
At all times, avoid oblique references that intimate some knowledge of
ideas beyond your ken.
Isn't it time you got your saggy little cheerleader butt back to
alt.republican.bush.worship?

Peter Wiley July 22nd 05 10:24 AM

In article , Dave
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:36:03 -0400, krj said:

If we
did not
have the NWS prediction available and had to rely on the other forecast,
the
people of the Gulf coast of Florida may have let down their guard, with
disastrous results.

This argument illustrates just how far the free lunch bunch will go in
exploiting the naivete of the unthinking.

I agree with you completely, sir! Those fee for service people, who
take taxpayer funded data, value-add it and then onsell it to the
public, are definitely exploiting the unthinking. Especially when they
get it wrong!

If they were actually collecting the data themselves, using their own
funded satellites, met stations and the like, well, that'd be
different. But they're not. They sure are a free lunch bunch, hey,
Dave?

PDW

mickey July 23rd 05 12:13 AM

I've decided to post only because this matter is important to me,
owning a boat and relying heavily on NOAA for my weather information.
I urge everyone to read the bill. it can be located on

http://thomas.loc.gov/
using bill number S.786
Weather Underground also has it available he
http://www.wunderground.com/education/santorum_s786.asp

Also, BoatUS has an article about it:
http://www.boatus.com/gov/sb786.htm

Here are some excerpts:
-Secretary of Commerce shall not provide, or assist other entities in
providing, a product or service (other
than [emergency warnings] ) that is or could be provided by the private
sector unless ...

-Data, information, guidance, forecasts, and warnings [available from
NOAA] shall be issued ... through a set of data portals designed for
volume access by commercial providers of products or services

So, basically, Data as well as forecasts (aka analysis) will be
available from NOAA to commercial providers, but not to the public.

Currently, commercial providers are available, and used by many
including me, which take data from NOAA and other sources and provide
their own forecasts (analysis). I do not have a problem with any of
this, but I _do_ have a problem with making the NOAA information
available _only_ to commercial providers, who then may charge for them.

just my 2 cents.

Glenn Ashmore July 23rd 05 01:43 AM

You left out a few things like:

2d1) Prohibits NWS personnel from disseminating, disclosing or commenting on
any data gathered by the NWS unless a commercial service is unable to
provide it. It also prohibits ANY Federal agency from disclosing to the
public any weather related data that may come into their possession. That
includes the Department of agriculture, FAA and the Navy weather broadcasts.

That means no more web site, no more VHF weather broadcasts, no more Perfect
Paul on SSB, no more NAVTEX, no more SSB we no more free GRIBB files. It
also puts a number of small but specialized services like CaribWX out of
business because they can't afford the T1 line.

If you want any weather information while off shore you buy a $1,000
receiver and pay $600 a year (or more) for a subscription. Your NAVTEX and
wefax receivers will be junk.

2(d2) says that even after the information has been published NWS analysts
cannot make comments or even be interviewed on news broadcasts to discuss
any weather event EVER.

That means that NOAA people can't address cruising clubs or work with boat
show seminars. They can't even defend themselves after the commercial
services get it totally wrong like they did last hear after the NWS gave
them the correct information. If the NWS had not been able to give the
correct forecast for the hurricanes last year and the only forecast
available was from the commercial services the loss of lives and property
would have been much greater.

No matter how you sugar coat it, it still stinks because it is a bull****
bill.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

oups.com...

Glenn Ashmore July 23rd 05 12:31 PM

"Dave" wrote

Think about it for a minute. Are you paying for these other services now?
Why not? What does your local TV station's forecast cost? Are they in the
business of handing out gifts? Are they losing money and hoping to make it
up on volume?

I'll give you a hint. Think radio, TV and WWW sites.

If you actually believe that,call your local TV station and ask them to
include the 500mb chart in their evening broadcast. Maybe you could tell me
where the 48 hour wind and wave forecast charts are on the Weather Channel's
web site? Do you think maybe that Accuweather will send you a daily GRIBB
file so you can use the routing features of Raychart or MaxSea? Kinda hard
to add popups to a GRIBB file. How much do you suppose they would charge
you for that service?

It is pretty obvious you have never sailed outside your bathtub.

Geoff Schultz July 23rd 05 03:40 PM

"mickey" wrote in news:1122074020.328211.306630
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

I've decided to post only because this matter is important to me,
owning a boat and relying heavily on NOAA for my weather information.
I urge everyone to read the bill. it can be located on

http://thomas.loc.gov/
using bill number S.786
Weather Underground also has it available he
http://www.wunderground.com/education/santorum_s786.asp

Also, BoatUS has an article about it:
http://www.boatus.com/gov/sb786.htm

These two web sites provide a much better background than the prior
discussions in this forum did. There was too much name calling and not
enough discussion on the facts. I strongly suggest that people read them
and understand them.

Most importantly make sure that you write your senators. I just did. We
can't let this pass!

-- Geoff

Geoff Schultz July 23rd 05 08:33 PM

Nomen Nescio ] wrote in
:

Geoff Schultz writes:

mickey wrote:

Weather Underground also has it available he
http://www.wunderground.com/education/santorum_s786.asp

Also, BoatUS has an article about it:
http://www.boatus.com/gov/sb786.htm

These two web sites provide a much better background than
the prior discussions in this forum did. There was too much
name calling and not enough discussion on the facts. I
strongly suggest that people read them and understand them.

Most importantly make sure that you write your senators.
I just did.

Geoff:
This might seem naive, but could you suggest a good letter
form that might be sent to my senators? I don't have the first
idea how to write a letter that they won't just toss.

FWIW, they're both Repugs, and they are probably in the pocket
of the commercial entities that seem to be pushing this bill.

Here's what I just sent:

I am writing about SB 786: "National Weather Services Duties Act of
2005'" which I consider to be absolutely rediculious. This bill would
prohibit the dissemination of weather forecasts and charts by the
National Weather Service to the public. They would still provide this
information to private companies for dissemination for a fee.

I am a cruiser who spends 6-7 months per year in the Caribbean. I, and
the vast majority of other cruisers in the US and elsewhere, rely on
these forecasts by the NWS which are transmitted via VHF, radio faxes
and the Internet. While cruising there are no other sources for this
information with paying for costly new equipment, per minute connection
charges via satellite, and monthly subscription fees to private weather
prediction services. Local weather forecasts do not begin to provide
the level of detail necessary to safely plan passages. The loss of this
service would greatly endanger many people and boats.

I can not fathom why anyone would support this bill, unless they're in
the pocket of some company who would benefit from the NWS being
prohibited from disseminating these forecasts. I strongly suggest that
Senator _____________ vote against this bill.

Thank you for your time regarding this matter.

Don W July 24th 05 01:43 AM

I've already emailed both of my senators expressing my views on this
bill. One good point to make is how bad congress will look
if/when the media gets a hold of this story. I personally believe that
there are enough pilots, boaters, and individuals who use the NOAA
and NWS sites that they are poking a beehive with a stick from a
very short distance. I'd like to see the media out this story and
then watch the sponsors run for cover!!

Don W.

Eric Schneider July 24th 05 04:06 AM

Send them an email. That's what I did and have received replies from both
(probably their staffers). Due to enhanced postal security my Senators have
indicated they prefer email.

"Nomen Nescio" ] wrote in message
Geoff Schultz writes:

mickey wrote:

Weather Underground also has it available he
http://www.wunderground.com/education/santorum_s786.asp

Also, BoatUS has an article about it:
http://www.boatus.com/gov/sb786.htm

These two web sites provide a much better background than
the prior discussions in this forum did. There was too much
name calling and not enough discussion on the facts. I
strongly suggest that people read them and understand them.

Most importantly make sure that you write your senators.
I just did.

Geoff:
This might seem naive, but could you suggest a good letter
form that might be sent to my senators? I don't have the first
idea how to write a letter that they won't just toss.

FWIW, they're both Repugs, and they are probably in the pocket
of the commercial entities that seem to be pushing this bill.

We can't let this pass!

Agreed.

---
-
Those who complain about others not being "team players"
are the same ones who never give up the ball.
-----

Glenn Ashmore July 24th 05 04:58 AM

"Eric Schneider" wrote

Send them an email. That's what I did and have received replies from both
(probably their staffers). Due to enhanced postal security my Senators
have
indicated they prefer email.

I would be interested to know how they responded. Both Georgia Senators
responded with mealy mouthed BS. Either they don't have a clue what the
bill says or they are waiting for instructions from the Republican
leadership.

Glenn Ashmore July 24th 05 05:06 AM

"Don W" wrote

I've already emailed both of my senators expressing my views on this
bill. One good point to make is how bad congress will look
if/when the media gets a hold of this story. I personally believe that
there are enough pilots, boaters, and individuals who use the NOAA
and NWS sites that they are poking a beehive with a stick from a
very short distance. I'd like to see the media out this story and
then watch the sponsors run for cover!!

Unfortunately probably less than 5% of the population cares at all and of
them 80% are to lazy to make their opinions known or consider it a waste of
time because they figure that Congress is bought and paid for anyway..

prodigal1 July 24th 05 06:59 AM

WaIIy wrote:

Wake up.

wake up?
take your own advice and do a little due diligence with respect to your
good ol' boy Blackwell's activities during the last "election" held in
the land of the free. I thought Ohioans stood for the principles of
democracy. Maybe I was wrong.

sheeple

Eric Schneider July 24th 05 07:14 AM

They responded by indicating that the bill has been sent to committee and
they would take my concerns into consideration if/when the bill is presented
to the full senate.

Eric Schneider

"Eric Schneider" wrote

Geoff Schultz July 24th 05 12:16 PM

WaIIy wrote in
:

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 14:33:01 -0500, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

I can not fathom why anyone would support this bill, unless they're in
the pocket of some company who would benefit from the NWS being
prohibited from disseminating these forecasts.

Yup, an insult usually gets great results.

You might want to rethink your letter.

I guess that I don't see this as an insult. It's calling things the way
that I see them. Perhaps you think that politicians should be treated with
kid gloves. I don't. It might even get a smile from their staffers. :-)
You know that the actual senator will never read the e-mail.

-- Geoff

Glenn Ashmore July 24th 05 01:06 PM

"Eric Schneider" wrote

They responded by indicating that the bill has been sent to committee and
they would take my concerns into consideration if/when the bill is
presented
to the full senate.

That is almost word for word what mine wrote except that they quoted from
the nice sounding first paragraph of the bill and ignored restrictions in
the second.

Glenn Ashmore July 24th 05 01:23 PM

"WaIIy" wrote

I see, Glenn.... all the democratic senators are against it?

Wake up.

As a mater of fact, yes. Of the 27 Senator who have gone on record against
the bill all have been Democrats. To date, no Republican senators have
spoken out against the bill.

Glenn Ashmore July 24th 05 05:31 PM

WaIIy" wrote

Do you have a url about the ones against it?
I couldn't find anything.

Not everything is on the web but if you break away from the tube every now
and then and put a little effort into it it is not hard to find out. I have
been actively following this bill since April when it was introduced. I
read newspapers and call around to lobbyist and political committees. Thus
far I have talked to government relations people at: the NWS Employee's
Union, Boat US, National Marine Manufacturers Association, National Boating
Foundation and the AOPA. As of my last poll on June 29 the AOPA claims 31
Democrats. The others say 27. All have found the Republican senators to be
uniformly non-committal on the subject.

Larry July 24th 05 06:03 PM

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in

because they figure that Congress is bought and paid for anyway..

And, they'd be correct...

--
Larry

mickey July 25th 05 07:44 PM

I'm glad to see this bill is of interest to a few people, even if we
are just a few. I'd like to point out that the BoatUS website's
article has a link to a sample letter which you can use to send to your
congressperson. (Did I mention I live in DC so I don't have any such
luxury?) I'm including the text here without permission from BoatUS.
You can find a word file on this link:
http://www.boatus.com/gov/Sample786ltr.doc
which is from this article:
http://www.boatus.com/gov/sb786.htm
The text is at the end.

As a matter of personal opinion, I'd like to say that what I find most
disturbing about this bill is that it does not limit the types of data,
files, forecasts, etc. that NOAA will provide. It only limits the
dissemination fo that information. In other words, NOAA will likely
continue to produce the same files and forecasts that we are used
to--but they will only be available to private, for-profit companies.
So, all taxpayer-funded NOAA work will no longer be available to the
public for free, but will continue to be available to for-profit
companies (assumedly for free). As I said on my last post, I do not
mind paying for weather. (In fact, I _do_ pay for weather, and by that
I mean I pay in cold cash, not in seeing ads.) But I feel that if I
pay a company for weather, I expect them to do their own legwork and
provide me with their own analysis--I certainly don't want to pay them
for files which they have for free.

on a different note, There was a post herea bout an alternative to the
recently-purchased WeatherMatrix...does someone know what it is?

The text from BoatUS:
--start of letter--
Sample letter Regarding S. 786 Weather Bill

The Honorable Sen. ________
United States Senate
Washington DC 20510

Dear Senator ________:

I am writing to ask you to oppose S. 786, legislation introduced by
Sen. Rick Santorum that calls for giving private, commercially operated
weather services exclusive access to weather data now developed by the
National Weather Service.

Such a drastic change in the public's access to critical weather
information could endanger the safety of boat owners who routinely rely
on this information to make basic decisions about when to head out of
port or when to return.

The bill would limit the National Weather Service to issuing severe
weather forecasts and warnings for the protection of life and property.
This would be detrimental to mariners because "non-emergency"
weather data such as wind speed, tides, currents and the movement of
fronts that would not be considered "severe" or life threatening
for those on land could easily lead to hazardous conditions at sea.

Both recreational and commercial mariners rely on NOAA Weather Radio
for constant updates on conditions and under the Santorum bill; these
would be halted and become the exclusive domain of commercial
providers. Boaters would be required to invest in special equipment and
pay costly subscription fees for a commercial service or go without.
One existing service costs $1,500 for the receiver and $695 a year to
subscribe.

Furthermore, S. 786 will not save the federal government money because
the National Weather Service will still have to collect and monitor all
the same weather data in order to only issuing warnings of severe
weather. Boat owners, like all citizens, would be paying twice for the
same information, once in their taxes to support the Weather Service
and again to buy weather forecasts from a private provider. This, in
our opinion, would set a bad precedent for many other federal services.

S. 786 is ill-conceived legislation that would establish a dangerous
precedent. I urge you to oppose this legislation and vote against it
should it be considered in committee or on the floor.

Thank you for your attention to this important issue.

Sincerely,

_____________

--end of letter--

Don W July 25th 05 09:55 PM

Although its good to have a starting point, I would advise against
copying someone elses boilerplate. From what I've read some in
congress feel that if you don't care enough to take the time to
write your own letter then you don't care very much.

Also, there are professional organizations that inundate congress with
copied letters in much the same way that professional spammers hit
our email. The result is that copies of letters are mostly ignored.

If you are opposed to the bill, you might want to take the letter
and paraphrase it.

Don W.

snip

mickey July 26th 05 06:13 PM

Don,
I agree. In fact, there was a show on NPR today about just that. It
seems that even a personalized note ahead of the form letter will
attract attention. The idea is to personalize the message so the
reader knows it's coming from an actual person rather than a spamming
organization.

mickey

Don W wrote:
Although its good to have a starting point, I would advise against
copying someone elses boilerplate. From what I've read some in
congress feel that if you don't care enough to take the time to
write your own letter then you don't care very much.

Also, there are professional organizations that inundate congress with
copied letters in much the same way that professional spammers hit
our email. The result is that copies of letters are mostly ignored.

If you are opposed to the bill, you might want to take the letter
and paraphrase it.

Don W.

snip

Larry August 8th 05 03:24 AM

Nomen Nescio ] wrote in
:

That's how a Repub says he's going to ignore you...

These people have no idea about how to treat constituents.
Follow the Party Line, just like the Soviets did. The rich
folks and corporations continue to benefit on the backs of
the poor. Anyone who doesn't realize this nation is becoming
a Fascist government doesn't know history...

(Yawn)....doesn't matter who is in power...it's always the same.

--
Larry

Gordon August 8th 05 05:28 PM

(Yawn)....doesn't matter who is in power...it's always the same.

--
Larry

First intelligent political post I've seen in a while.
Gordon

Larry August 8th 05 10:48 PM

"Gordon" wrote in
:

First intelligent political post I've seen in a while.
Gordon

You may quote me, Gordon....(c; When the Dept of Transportation (the name
of a bureaucracy, not a state-of-mind) had a dog and pony show about a new
8-lane parking lot they've now created near my home, as I predicted, I
stood up in the public speaking time, pointed to the STUPIDEST traffic
light in SC and said, "Good God, you're making it worse!" The lady ask if
she could quote me in the newspaper. I agreed. They're resurrected my
comment in a recent article on this pig, making me sound clairvoyant...(c;

--
Larry