Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Flemming Torp

Default Keep the propeller fixed or let it turn?

My brother in law, and I have had a discussion of whether it
is best - from a pure speed point of view (no consideration
to the mechanics/oil/maintenance/gearbox etc. here ...)
whether you should let your "fixed three bladed propeller"
run/turn or keep it fixed (like put into gear) when sailing
just for the wind with your sails in a 34 feet cruiser
weighing roughly 5 T ... We have - unsuccesfully - tried to
find out using the log ... the results were not conclusive -
or one of us would not admit, that the other was right ... I
think we need a testimony from someone, that has a
'scientific based valid answer' ... or just knows for sure

The assumption is: There is no way to move, turn, 'collapse'
anything on the propeller - the 'blades' are fixed ... (hard
to explain in a language, that is not your own ... hope you
get my point).

Anybody in this group that can convince one of us, that he
is not right? ...

--
Flemming Torp

Propeller Seminar accredited for Continuing Education credits D MacPherson [HydroComp] Boat Building 0 January 5th 05 07:04 PM
steering question Scott Cruising 7 July 23rd 04 12:49 PM
Propeller rotation - important? Anders Lassen General 21 June 9th 04 10:37 AM
Propeller efficiency question (electric) MBS Boat Building 4 December 23rd 03 04:39 AM
propeller engineering question MBS General 8 November 8th 03 04:01 PM