BoatBanter.com

-   -   jarcat catamaran (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/35516-jarcat-catamaran.html)

Chuck H April 30th 05 06:26 PM

jarcat catamaran

What do you think about the Jarcat CC29 Catamaran for use in cruising
the Caribean? Seems to have a lot of interior space versus overall size
and the web site indicates decent performance.
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~rhturner/index.html

Chuck H.

Jere Lull May 1st 05 11:43 PM

In article ,
Chuck H wrote:

What do you think about the Jarcat CC29 Catamaran for use in cruising
the Caribean? Seems to have a lot of interior space versus overall size
and the web site indicates decent performance.
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~rhturner/index.html

Chuck H.

Depends on the builder's skill and the owner's ability to keep a plywood
boat together. Friend of mine bought a used tri of a similar
construction that looked great, but it started to split apart a year
later.

I built my first boat (Mini-Cup). For what I spent, I could have bought
a lot more boat; for similar capabilities, I would have spent less. Was
fun, but I wouldn't do it again.

Looking at the pages, a LOT of boat can be bought for $33k, Australian,
and having done some of these types of projects and had friends do
others, I suggest that the 1000 hour estimate should probably be
tripled. That's a LOT of work when you could be doing a lot of sailing.

--
Jere Lull

Jeff May 2nd 05 12:12 AM

Jere Lull wrote:
In article ,
Chuck H wrote:

[...]

30K and 1000 hours could get you a *lot* of boat. Friends paid a
little more than that for an elderly 41 footer, moved aboard right
away and put in a lot of work over a few years, and now a have a
beautiful cruising home.