BoatBanter.com

-   -   Volvo Penta Engine Problems (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/29561-volvo-penta-engine-problems.html)

Santa Rosa March 26th 05 04:51 PM

Volvo Penta Engine Problems

I recently ran my boat out of fuel, after doing so I was promptly towed
to the dock and filled it back up.
When I tried to start it, it would fire up for about 30 seconds and
then die. I finally decided to take it into my mechanic for repair. He
determined that the fuel pump was faulty and replaced it along with the
fuel filter for good measure. After completing the repair I took the
boat out, it fired up fine and was running smooth at idle (600 rpm). I
started out for open water and increased RPM to approximately 2700 RPM,
for about two minutes. Suddenly, with out any throttle interaction the
boat started to cut out and then returned to an idle RPM. The boat
continues to run fine at idle, but won't maintain higher RPM's.
So, I took the boat back to my mechanic and explained the problem to
him. He said he would hook the boat up to a dynamometer and check it
for errors, he did that and nothing came up wrong.
He checked with some other local shops to see if they had encountered
similar issues, none had.
I would appreciate constructive inputs on the possible problems
believed to be associated with these symptoms and what to do to trouble
shoot and eliminate them.

Thanks,
SR

Steve March 26th 05 06:00 PM

It would help if you told us what model engine you have (Volvo calls most
all of their marine line of engines "Penta".)

Thanks

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

oups.com...

Santa Rosa March 26th 05 08:37 PM

Hi Steve,

Good point should have been a little clearer in that respect.
250 EFI 5.0L carbureted gas engine with electronic fuel pump.
As to the actual MFG not sure where to find the info.