Default FS: Cuba A Cruising Guide by Nigel Calder

Cuba A Cruising Guide by Nigel Calder is a guide for sailors to the
waters surrounding Cuba. The hard-to-find book provides meticulous
details for the navigator with charts of the hundreds of miles of
coastal waters surrounding Cuba. For anyone thinking about a cruise in
Cuban waters someday this is an indispensable resource.

We are pleased to offer the book Cuba A Cruising Guide at a starting
price of $19.95 at:

Thank you,
http-mart

Skipper

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:06:49 -0500, krj
wrote:

If I buy this book, won't the U.S. Guvment decide that I'm thing about
sailing to Cuba and confiscate my boat?
krj

I have heard US Citizens may visit but we are not allowed to spend
any money in Cuba. I think we can go there as guests of someone else
and that person can pay everything.
boatgeek

if you go, they will need to pay for everything and give you a
notarized letter stating so and you gave them no compensation in
return. Such a letter is admisable as testimony in a trial, and you
will still be sent a letter and asked to document that you did not
expend any money in cuba. This must specify clearly that they also
paid your plane ticket, entry fees, exist fees, visa fees, hotel stays
(if you stay in a hotel), food and transportation within cuba.

you are right, the original letter of the law was to stop us citizens
from spending money. But, presidential orders from Bush, and many of
them, have clamped down on everything. Example, you used to be able to
go as part of a school program. Now you can't. Pretty much all of
the loop holes have been closed and methods of getting in. It's very,
very, very risky as the President has directed the Coast Guard to
"seize any vessels under any flag capable of going to Cuba" and the
treasury department to "use the full measure of the law to enforce the
trading with the enemies act". There are more treasury agents
assigned to do this then to track down terrorist funding.

Write you congressmen, but until it changes, and Bush leaves, you can't
go.

MMC

You would think, in the interest of national security, that people trying to
get into the US from Cuba would warrant more scrutinization than people
thinking about visiting Cuba from the US (or Canada).
A couple "Shining Path" types could get garbage documentation saying they
are Cuban, hop on an inner tube and as long as they make it to the beach in
Florida, we would not only welcome them with open arms, but would also pay
there way until they got jobs (or blew up a barely protected "nucular" power
plant!).
I sure feel safer!
MMC

"boatgeek" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Tamaroak

Actually, they can, according to a directive signed by our deserter
president george w. bush (well, where the hell was he from may 1970 to
may 1971?) on 2/23/04. All they need is the charts indicating your
intent to visit Cuba. What a government....

Capt. Jeff
Armond Perretta

Tamaroak wrote:

Actually, they can, according to a directive signed by ... bush ...All
they need is the charts indicating your intent to visit Cuba. What a
government....

What in the world are you talking about? Travel to Cuba for US citizens is
restricted, yes, but _thinking_ about it is not.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Rosalie B.

"Armond Perretta" wrote:

Tamaroak wrote:

Actually, they can, according to a directive signed by ... bush ...All
they need is the charts indicating your intent to visit Cuba. What a
government....

What in the world are you talking about? Travel to Cuba for US citizens is
restricted, yes, but _thinking_ about it is not.

It's not restricted as long as you don't really have any way to get
there. If you have a boat capable of going and they perceive that you
might be thinking about it, they can take the boat to be sure that you
don't turn thoughts into action. At least that is my understanding of
the directed. And it doesn't just apply to US citizens either.

grandma Rosalie
Jim Carter

"Armond Perretta" wrote in message
What in the world are you talking about? Travel to Cuba for US citizens

is
restricted, yes, but _thinking_ about it is not.
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://kerrydeare.home.comcast.net/

Well Armond, you should read the law again. I read it several times and I
have interpreted it to mean that I, a Canadian citizen, and my boat, which
is Canadain registered, will be seized by the US Govermnet Agencies
empowered by this law, if they perceive that I will be travelling in US
waters and my "intent" is to travel from US waters to Cuba.

To me this amounts to Piracy.

Jim Carter
"The Boat"
Bayfield

prodigal1

Jim Carter wrote:
Well Armond, you should read the law again. I read it several

times and I
have interpreted it to mean that I, a Canadian citizen, and my boat, which
is Canadain registered, will be seized by the US Govermnet Agencies
empowered by this law, if they perceive that I will be travelling in US
waters and my "intent" is to travel from US waters to Cuba.

To me this amounts to Piracy.

Jim Carter
"The Boat"
Bayfield

This information and our reactions to it needs to be forwarded to the
owner/operaters of marinas all over the Great Lakes. Americans seem to
be motivated by $$ and perhaps they need to know that legislation like
this is going to cost them $$. Personally, as a result of the predatory
economic policies that Bush has implemented towards it's largest trading
partner despite it's signing of NAFTA i.e., border closures to Cdn.
cattle and duties on softwood lumber, I have made the decision _not_ to
travel to the US until these punitive trade sanctions, and G.W. Bush are
gone. No to Florida, Si to Cuba. My considerable personal disposable
income will not longer be spent in the US until the US starts treating
it's best ally, like it's best ally.

Lake Erie Cruising Guide Erie Bound Cruising 2 March 18th 05 10:36 AM
Online Cruising Guide Rob Cruising 0 February 16th 05 09:49 PM
Call to All Boaters- Help Write Our Online Cruising Guide! Swizzle General 16 February 8th 05 03:24 PM
Call To All Cruisers - Help Write Our Cruising Guide! Rob Cruising 11 February 7th 05 05:56 AM
Sailboat Trash Cruising Guide Parallax Cruising 7 October 22nd 03 05:34 AM