BoatBanter.com

-   -   Call To All Cruisers - Help Write Our Cruising Guide! (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/27735-call-all-cruisers-help-write-our-cruising-guide.html)

Rob February 3rd 05 05:39 PM

Call To All Cruisers - Help Write Our Cruising Guide!

My wife and I thought it would be a great idea and hobby to create a
free on-line guide to cruising destinations around the word for sailors
by sailors!

The concept is simple: anyone passionate about something has the
capacity and desire to share that knowledge. That is the premise of
this and all message boards. Who better to make recommendations than a
local that truly knows the waters, harbors and things to do when your
there. Well our site is going to organize from local sailors (meaning
you), recommendations to your favorite cruising destinations - wherever
they may be in the US and abroad. Even if they are just day or weekend
trips to your favorite Island.

Please go to the following link see our site and submit your knowledge:
Link submitted by author

The submission button is at the bottom of the page - a few posts have
already been made! This is a brand new site so any recommendations are
welcomed. We will eventually get some pictures and imagery posted once
we get things going. Again, any recommendations on promoting and
making the site better are welcomed! Enjoy the site!

PS. Don't forget to add it to your "Favorites" list.

Regards,
Rob & Deana Finora
Long Island, NY

Rob February 3rd 05 05:46 PM

Opps - Here is the Link:
http://cruisingguide.blogspot.com/

Rob February 3rd 05 05:47 PM

Opps - Here is the link:
http://cruisingguide.blogspot.com/

JAXAshby February 4th 05 12:20 PM

sounds like someone wants to make money publishing a book, but doesn't want to
bother writing it.

Florida Keyz February 4th 05 05:08 PM

If "jaxash" is against it, I am for it!

Sterling

Rob February 5th 05 12:27 PM

Thanks Keys!

JAXAshby February 5th 05 01:07 PM

robby, have considered just how frickin stew ped fl kz is?

From: "Rob"
Date: 2/5/2005 7:27 A.M. Eastern Standard Time

Thanks Keys!

Terry Spragg February 5th 05 01:55 PM

Rob wrote:
Opps - Here is the link:
http://cruisingguide.blogspot.com/

Oops! Indeed!

A small, but auspicious start to what could become a very
interesting menu of destinations.

Might I suggest you try to change font size from within a browser
visiting the site? It seems your input editor has left some vestige
of a word wrap problem in the block Island piece. I haven't, and
won't check out the whole site right away, that is the owner's job.

Might I also suggest you consider pre-foramtting the menu headers to
try to put a little vinegar into the salad? Or conversely, consider
how to find an area amongst hundreds on a list.

Is this a duplication of effort? Other sites have and would likely
want to share links to other area guides.

"Jolly cruising tales?" Royalty distributions? Everything becomes
commercial if it survives long. Make plans now for preview, pay for
conclusion chapters. It may take decades, but these things do
happen. Yahoo started out as a net index service, something we all
will come to need, ask over at WWW3, the knowledge well.

How about a link to selected cruising software?

Go for a little more contrast in text, I find it a little hard to
focus these old eyeballs on grey on grey. Try white text on a red
background for the best visibility possible, if it is a little
stark, it's easy to see.

Perhaps a more dramatic splash page? A boat poised over a rock,
with it's tail in a whirlpool? No cruising guide of the NE is
complete without pictures and methods for surviving the reversing
falls at St. John, New Brunswick, where they still operate a public
market dock right downtown, next slip over but one from the cruise
liner's quay, outside the reversing falls.

Good start- good luck!!!

Terry K

Florida Keyz February 5th 05 02:17 PM

Your very welcome sir, and as for you jax,, your ignorance speaks for itself.
Stay warm

Sterling

find a crew February 5th 05 02:22 PM

nice idea...