just me

Default sailing in Savannah

I'm interested in possibly moving my boat from TX to Savannah, GA
Can anyone provide info on sailing conditions and availbale marinas there?
Thanks, Jay

just me

Also, sailing destinations nearby please.

--

Jay A. Howell, CFP
Registered Representative
"just me" wrote in message
I'm interested in possibly moving my boat from TX to Savannah, GA
Can anyone provide info on sailing conditions and availbale marinas there?
Thanks, Jay

Jr Gilbreath

Hi Jay
My boat is in Brunswick Georgia which is 60 miles south of Brunswick.
You have the Georgia Barriers islands you can explore, South Carolina
has Hilton Head and Charleston to visit and Savannah is a fun place. I
can get you a list of the Marinas in Savannah but couldn't recommend
one. I looked at a couple before deciding on Brunswick and they were
pretty much the same. I don't know if any of them do not have floating
docks but make sure you get one that does, you are in the 8 - 9 feet
tide area.
JR

just me wrote:

I'm interested in possibly moving my boat from TX to Savannah, GA
Can anyone provide info on sailing conditions and availbale marinas there?
Thanks, Jay

Leanne

"just me" wrote in message
I'm interested in possibly moving my boat from TX to Savannah,

GA
Can anyone provide info on sailing conditions and availbale

marinas there?
Thanks, Jay

I believe there are four marinas in the Thunderbolt area which
is right next to Savannah. I can get info if needed. We used to
visit friends on Wilmington Island, which is just a little bit
down river from Thunderbolt, at the Sail Harbor Marina. I
haven't been there in several years so I don't know the present
status.

Leanne

David&Joan

I would suggest Hilton Head rather than Savannah. From the Savannah marinas
in Thunderbolt it is a long way to open water.

I kept my boat at Skull Creek Marina on Hilton Head. From there you can go
north to Port Royal Sound and up the Beaufort River to Beaufort, SC- a nice
southern town. Or you can sail south to Calliboge Sound. There is much more
protected sailing around HH than Savannah and it is quicker to get to.

David

Leanne

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"David&Joan" wrote in

Yeah, but Hilton Head and Beaufort just don't SMELL the

same....(c;

Don't pick on us because we don't have any paper mills.... :-)

Leanne

Larry W4CSC

"Leanne" wrote in :

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"David&Joan" wrote in

Yeah, but Hilton Head and Beaufort just don't SMELL the

same....(c;

Don't pick on us because we don't have any paper mills.... :-)

Leanne

Or sugar refineries or gypsum wallboard plants or chemical plants or
fertilizer factories.

Savannah doesn't stink near as bad as it did in the 60's when I came South.
God, then it was just awful! There were pipes on buildings you passed on
US 17 on your way into town that had IODINE VAPORS spewing out of them!
You could hardly breathe!

I was told by someone born and raised in Savannah that they sold their
souls to the devil during the Depression, promising not to prosecute
polluters if they would just give them JOBS along the river. The river is
polluted, anyways, from way upstream by the nuke plant at Aiken and the
Sangamo capacitor plant dumping PCBs into the lakes way upstream.