BoatBanter.com

-   -   Grease fittings (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/27293-grease-fittings.html)

Wayne.B January 20th 05 09:04 PM

Grease fittings

I have a number of grease fittings (Zerk fittings ?) on my new
trawler. Some seem to be the standard automotive size that I'm
accustomed to, but some seem a size or two smaller. Can one buy
adapters for a standard grease gun that go to a smaller fitting?

D. Bailey January 20th 05 09:33 PM

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
I have a number of grease fittings (Zerk fittings ?) on my new
trawler. Some seem to be the standard automotive size that I'm
accustomed to, but some seem a size or two smaller. Can one buy
adapters for a standard grease gun that go to a smaller fitting?

Might be easier to buy new zerks. Check with any good hardware
store.

db

Wayne.B January 21st 05 01:45 AM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:33:37 -0500, "D. Bailey"
wrote:

Might be easier to buy new zerks. Check with any good hardware
store.

=================

Not really. Some of them are in tight locations.

Brian Whatcott January 21st 05 02:13 AM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:04:57 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

I have a number of grease fittings (Zerk fittings ?) on my new
trawler. Some seem to be the standard automotive size that I'm
accustomed to, but some seem a size or two smaller. Can one buy
adapters for a standard grease gun that go to a smaller fitting?

Better to fit a standard size zerk if poss

Brian W

Calif Bill January 21st 05 05:11 AM

wrote:

Might be easier to buy new zerks. Check with any good hardware
store.

Not really. Some of them are in tight locations.

Get a new tip for the grease gun. Is a long pointy (needle) tip that slips
into the hole the ball in the zerk closes. Works well in U-joints. Any
good automotive supply store should carry them.
Bill