BoatBanter.com

-   -   Engine oil condition sensors? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/26872-engine-oil-condition-sensors.html)

Glenn Ashmore January 6th 05 01:18 AM

Engine oil condition sensors?

Here is a pretty neat idea that is just over the horizon. A diesel engine
oil condition sensor. It measures soot, viscocity, and fuel dilution.
http://delphi.com/pdf/e/int_oil_cond.pdf

I ran into this while playing with an idea for refrigerated cockpit drink
holders. But that's another story. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

DSK January 6th 05 02:28 AM

http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=30524

I'm thinking of replacing the fridge in our boat with a Waeco model...
then I saw this and strated scheming about places in the boat to put
one. It would make a perfect cockpit fridge!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

rhys January 6th 05 03:30 AM

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 20:18:48 -0500, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

I ran into this while playing with an idea for refrigerated cockpit drink
holders. But that's another story. :-)

Intriguing as that is, I hope it's not taking you away from finishing
and commissioning your beautiful boat...where ARE you with her lately?

Side note: I was in my favourite surplus/gadget store today and saw a
USB cup warmer...yep...it runs off your USB port on a laptop and keeps
a ceramic cup at 40-50 C. Cost: nine bucks. I was sorely tempted...to
laugh!

Glenn Ashmore January 6th 05 04:44 AM

I saw that. It gave me the idea to build a cooler in under the helm seat.
Then I started thinking I could pump that ice cold water up to a coil of
tubing in a Koozie to keep my Red Stripe cold. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

. ..

Glenn Ashmore January 6th 05 04:54 AM

I really am working on the boat but when you sit at 3 computers all day
waiting for someone between Bermuda and Fairbanks to screw something up your
mind wanders. :-)

Actually, in the last month I have put caning in a couple dozen cabinet
doors, installed a couple of really nice fuel tanks custom built by Ezell,
installed the Lectrasan and started sealing up the cockpit lockers. Also
made the copper-nickel keel coolers, installed the vacuum panels and the
other refrigerator components from Rparts should be delivered Friday.

Tim January 8th 05 07:04 PM

Side note: I was in my favourite surplus/gadget store today and saw a
USB cup warmer...yep...it runs off your USB port on a laptop and keeps
a ceramic cup at 40-50 C. Cost: nine bucks. I was sorely tempted...to
laugh!

if not hooked up to an AC supply, wouldn't that kill your battery
quickly?