BoatBanter.com

-   -   SuperWind Wind Generators (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/26156-superwind-wind-generators.html)

Geoff Schultz December 13th 04 06:07 PM

SuperWind Wind Generators

I recently ran across a site for a wind generator that I have never heard
of before. It's www.SuperWind.com and they make a wind generator that
looks very promising. Of course, I've never heard one in use or seen one,
but their desription and output curves look very good. What I really like
is that it starts generating power at low wind speeds and will generate 29
Amps at 24 kts and above.

The biggest problem seems to be that they're a German company and with the
dollar falling so much against the Euro, it's getting more expensive by the
day. However, I think that it's worth looking at.

Note that I have absolutely no relationship with the company. I'm simply
passing this along as information.

-- Geoff

rhys December 13th 04 06:49 PM

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:07:30 GMT, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

Note that I have absolutely no relationship with the company. I'm simply
passing this along as information.

Well, *I* believe you, but the last name of Schulz is eine kliene
suspicious, nein?

And hey, the Canadian dollar is doing fine against the euro, so get it
at the Toronto Boat Show in January G

krj December 14th 04 12:52 AM

Since when was 24 kn rated as "one hell of a lot of wind". Obviously JAX
has never done much sailing in either the Leewards or the Windwards
where the trades are usually E to ENE at 15-30 kn.
krj
Been there, done that

Doug Dotson December 14th 04 01:39 AM

I'd have to do some calculations but 29A at 24kts for a 1.2m diam
swept area seems to be pushing Betz's Theorem to the limit. I've
never seen variable pitch blades used in small turbines. Standard
design in large terestrial turbines but the pitch isn't controlled
passively but rather by the control system. I've love to have one
to play with though.

Doug
s/v Callista

7...

Geoff Schultz December 14th 04 02:31 AM

If it's blowing 30+ and you're anchored in 24, you're a happy camper!
In the Caribbean I've regularly been anchored in that. Not that I want
to be, but it's better than the alternative.

You may recall that one of my complaints about the KISS is that the
thermal breakers start opening once the constant output of the generator
exceeds 17 A. Unfortunately that happens a lot in the Caribbean. I'd
love a generator that would just keep producing in big winds.

-- Geoff

"Doug Dotson" wrote in
:

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
Yeah, so would the manufacturer.

btw, who here purposely anchors in 24 knot winds just to make his
wind gen put
out amps?

I'd have to do some calculations but 29A at 24kts for a 1.2m diam
swept area seems to be pushing Betz's Theorem to the limit. I've
never seen variable pitch blades used in small turbines. Standard
design in large terestrial turbines but the pitch isn't controlled
passively but rather by the control system. I've love to have one
to play with though.

Doug
s/v Callista

9.17...

JAXAshby December 14th 04 02:33 AM

dougies, just where in hell do you use an wind generator?

dummy.

Who mentioned anchoring in 24kts?

you gotta ask? why is that? you never anchor?

And in any case, what is wrong
with that?

JAXAshby December 14th 04 02:40 AM

You may recall that one of my complaints about the KISS is that the
thermal breakers start opening once the constant output of the generator
exceeds 17 A. Unfortunately that happens a lot in the Caribbean. I'd
love a generator that would just keep producing in big winds.

get an alternator type win gen (such as the Air Marine) rather than a generator
type win gen. alt types don't put out as many amps, so usually can be left
running. Of course, not much output at 10 knots, but what the hell.

Skip Gundlach December 14th 04 03:10 AM

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
You may recall that one of my complaints about the KISS is that the
thermal breakers start opening once the constant output of the generator
exceeds 17 A. Unfortunately that happens a lot in the Caribbean. I'd
love a generator that would just keep producing in big winds.

get an alternator type win gen (such as the Air Marine) rather than a

generator
type win gen. alt types don't put out as many amps, so usually can be

left
running. Of course, not much output at 10 knots, but what the hell.

Oops. KISS is alternator type, rectified with diode set...

I, too, however, wish it would keep pumping at higher winds. One can always
shunt the excess if it gets too much.

L8R

Skip, who hasn't bought his yet, but will, soon.

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Doug Dotson December 14th 04 03:18 AM

Well, the KISS probably isn't the solution in that situation. But
the major problem with small wind turbines is that they don't
gracefully handle overspeed.

Doug

. ..

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
Yeah, so would the manufacturer.

btw, who here purposely anchors in 24 knot winds just to make his
wind gen put
out amps?

I'd have to do some calculations but 29A at 24kts for a 1.2m diam
swept area seems to be pushing Betz's Theorem to the limit. I've
never seen variable pitch blades used in small turbines. Standard
design in large terestrial turbines but the pitch isn't controlled
passively but rather by the control system. I've love to have one
to play with though.

Doug
s/v Callista

99.17...

Doug Dotson December 14th 04 03:23 AM

"Skip Gundlach" skipgundlach sez use my name at earthlink dot fishcatcher
(net) - with apologies for the spamtrap wrote in message
"JAXAshby" wrote in message
You may recall that one of my complaints about the KISS is that the
thermal breakers start opening once the constant output of the generator
exceeds 17 A. Unfortunately that happens a lot in the Caribbean. I'd
love a generator that would just keep producing in big winds.

get an alternator type win gen (such as the Air Marine) rather than a

generator
type win gen. alt types don't put out as many amps, so usually can be

left
running. Of course, not much output at 10 knots, but what the hell.

My KISS puts out 9A at 10kts. Can't complain about that.

Oops. KISS is alternator type, rectified with diode set...

It's a good design. No brushes and the diode set is not mounted in
the generator. Easier servicing.

I, too, however, wish it would keep pumping at higher winds. One can
always
shunt the excess if it gets too much.

Gimme a break! I'm working on it! :)

JAXAshby December 14th 04 03:46 AM

I can just see it now. dougies, who used to "sail" a hunter 19 down the
highway but now has a high windage three story high powerboat, gently motors
his boat up in the 24 knot anchorage, the eight foot waves (formed over many
thousand mile fetch) rocking him gently. He pulls up to the exact spot he
wants, touches a button and the 700# CQR on a thousand foot chain drops to the
bottom and hooks on without difficulty.

dougies the snugs his boat up for optimal 3 to 1 scope for reduced swinging
room.

then he and wifie (who thinks him daft) enjoy a half dozen drinks as the sun
sets. The gracefully go down the stairs, get undressed (in the dark), put their
dentures in Polident, go to bed and calmly fall asleep, the boat steady and
solid in the eight foot waves, the wind to the one beam, then forward, then the
other beam then forward again as the boat sails on the anchor in 24 knots of
wind.

The wind generator screaming like a banshee in the wind, dougies and wifie
secure in their knowledge that come morning their forced air diesel heater will
still be running, their 3,000 amps of batteries fully charged.

yeah, dougies. you be da man.

Mike O'Dell December 14th 04 03:50 AM

In article ,
"Doug Dotson" wrote:

www.SuperWind.com

the web site claims they do pitch control on the rotorblades

Doug Dotson December 14th 04 02:29 PM

I saw that. Unusual for a small turbine. That's the way the big guys do it.
Unfortunately it is a passive system that seems to only be designed to
mitigate the overspeed problem. I would worry about the reliability
of a more mechanically complex aproach.

Doug
s/v Callista

JAXAshby December 14th 04 03:03 PM

and no need, either, no even with Viagra?

I don't have a "wife" either and you continue to be an idiot.

"Doug Dotson" AMcom