JAXAshby

I understand the US Navy uses dim red light to conserve nite vision, while the
US Army uses dim green and the US Air Force uses dim blue.

take your choice. the only common factor is nite vision and dim

Red light is also harder to focus on in dim conditions, esp. as
we grow middle-aged and our "arms shorten."

======================================

That is definitely true. I recommend keeping a pair or two of dime
store reading glasses in your nav station along with an illuminated
magnifier.

Electronic charting on a laptop is an even better solution (paper
charts for backup of course).

Charles T. Low

Yes, thank you, my friend, that's my fault for forgetting that you can't see
me wink when I ask a question that I assume is rhetorical(!).

====

Charles T. Low
www.boatdocking.com

====

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
news
Charles T. Low wrote:...
Are any important things on charts colored red?

There are any number of things in "magenta", which are affected by red

lights.

Jere Lull

In article ,
otnmbrd wrote:

JAXAshby wrote:
over-the-knee, you make a loser flip-flop politician look good by
comparison.
so, which it is, o-t-k? making harbor at night is good or bad? keep in
the
mind the original poster was asking about making an unknown harbor, but
expand
the definition to include any harbor you wish, including your bathtub.

Once again, Doodles, your inexperience is showing. Whether it's a known
harbor or an unknown harbor, making the approach can be touchy,
especially at night, and especially if you feel uncomfortable with what
you are seeing.
There's nothing flipflop about my statement, just some good sound
advice, in addition to what Rosalie stated.
The fact that you don't understand either, just adds to our collective
sense of your inexperience.

otn

Known or unknown, any harbor at night can be a problem.

I've entered "a few" at night over the years, and the most difficult to
date was our HOME port. On a dark night, there are only two dim markers
on the bulkhead that are VERY difficult to separate from the background
clutter. Miss them to either side, and we'd be on rather unforgiving
rocks.

We regularly travel after dark on the Chesapeake to extend our (mostly)
weekend range. The anchorages are truly in our back yard and by now, we
know most of them better than most, but in each case, we treat them with
extra respect in the dark. Truth be told, we're more worried about crab
trap floats than the bottom, so enter more comfortably under sail than
power.

--
Jere Lull

SAILING GROUNDS Capt. Mooron ASA 135 July 4th 04 05:52 PM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 May 11th 04 11:51 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 April 26th 04 10:46 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 November 17th 03 10:31 AM
Escapism Sailing Scott Vernon ASA 25 July 23rd 03 12:40 PM