otnmbrd

JAXAshby wrote:
over-the-knee, you make a loser flip-flop politician look good by comparison.
so, which it is, o-t-k? making harbor at night is good or bad? keep in the
mind the original poster was asking about making an unknown harbor, but expand
the definition to include any harbor you wish, including your bathtub.

Once again, Doodles, your inexperience is showing. Whether it's a known
harbor or an unknown harbor, making the approach can be touchy,
especially at night, and especially if you feel uncomfortable with what
you are seeing.
There's nothing flipflop about my statement, just some good sound
advice, in addition to what Rosalie stated.
The fact that you don't understand either, just adds to our collective
sense of your inexperience.

otn

From: otnmbrd
Date: 11/10/2004 9:30 PM Eastern Standard Time

Always good advice. If you are not familiar with a particular landfall,
never be afraid to hold off or at least do a few "round turns" until you
can feel comfortable with your position and route of approach .... even
with those you are normally familiar with.
Even with GPS, radar, your visual/ mental sense of what is around you
and where you are, is extremely important to your "comfort factor" when
navigating in any restricted or close quarters.

otn

Charles T. Low

I knew I remembered some problem with the old red-light advice, and found
this reference: www.aoa.org/clincare/aviation-night.asp The problems wasn't
what I thought it was, but the site contains a large amount of fascinating
information about night vision.

One of the problems it mentions regarding red light is that you might not be
able to see red things on your chart. Are any important things on charts
colored red? Red light is also harder to focus on in dim conditions, esp. as
we grow middle-aged and our "arms shorten."

====

Charles T. Low
www.boatdocking.com

====

"Dave" wrote in message
news
On 10 Nov 2004 11:55:08 -0800, (Parallax) said:

For example, I did not have a small
flashlight for taking a quick peak at the chart so I was blinded for
about 30 secs after every time I looked at it

The trick there is to use, not necessarily a small light, but a red light.
When I was doing night sailing I used to have a red plastic disk I could
insert above the flashlight lens.

Dave

Wayne.B

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 06:42:44 -0500, "Charles T. Low"
[withoutUN] wrote:

Red light is also harder to focus on in dim conditions, esp. as
we grow middle-aged and our "arms shorten."

======================================

That is definitely true. I recommend keeping a pair or two of dime
store reading glasses in your nav station along with an illuminated
magnifier.

Electronic charting on a laptop is an even better solution (paper
charts for backup of course).

rhys

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 00:46:49 GMT, otnmbrd
wrote:

I had a portable azimuth circle which mounted on the cabin hatch for
taking relative bearings ( could easily be mounted over a binnacle) when
there were two people available. I would use this, compared to a "mark"
heading on the steering compass (which I knew the error to -deviation
tables). This type of rig would need to be boat and/or operator
specific, but coupled with the ole red flashlight, I found it the least
cumbersome .... to each his/her own.

An idea I've seen on a couple of race boats with older skippers are
pieces of tape oriented on the coach house or the coaming or the deck
(your situation will vary) that give 30, 45, 60 and 90 degree bearing
on both tacks. 45 deg forward on a shore mark to abeam or 45 deg aft.
is pretty accurate if you have the chart and can keep even rough
time...a good skill to have when W turns off the GPS or whatever.

The tapes would have to be positioned by trial and error and would be
based on the normal helming position. It's an "at a glance" pilotage
aid that supplements the usual pelorus and/or bulkhead-binnacle
compass bearing. I find it particular useful for running fixes when
I'm alone and using the "60 D St." formula I am sure we all
know...right? G

The pieces of tape needn't be huge, and for night use, they could be
red and green reflective tape of the sort kids put on their bike
frames. The smallest beam of light (say, from a penlight on a lanyard
or a headband) will make them show up without blowing your night
vision.

Jeez, Parallax, whatever you've got is catching! The less I sail (I'm
on the hard for the winter now), the more I invent!

R.
otnmbrd

Charles T. Low wrote:
I knew I remembered some problem with the old red-light advice, and found
this reference: www.aoa.org/clincare/aviation-night.asp The problems wasn't
what I thought it was, but the site contains a large amount of fascinating
information about night vision.

One of the problems it mentions regarding red light is that you might not be
able to see red things on your chart. Are any important things on charts
colored red? Red light is also harder to focus on in dim conditions, esp. as
we grow middle-aged and our "arms shorten."

====

Charles T. Low
www.boatdocking.com

There are any number of things in "magenta", which are affected by red
lights.

SAILING GROUNDS Capt. Mooron ASA 135 July 4th 04 05:52 PM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 May 11th 04 11:51 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 April 26th 04 10:46 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 November 17th 03 09:31 AM
Escapism Sailing Scott Vernon ASA 25 July 23rd 03 12:40 PM