BoatBanter.com

-   -   Winterizing (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/24067-winterizing.html)

SDrumm6395 October 18th 04 09:39 PM

Winterizing

As an "inland" boater now facing first winter with cruising boat left in the
water at Anacortes, Washington, I'm interested in what other boaters in this
northern climate do to prepare for winter weather. Are there any good web
sites that discuss this?

John October 18th 04 10:26 PM

"SDrumm6395" wrote in message
As an "inland" boater now facing first winter with cruising boat left in

the
water at Anacortes, Washington, I'm interested in what other boaters in

this
northern climate do to prepare for winter weather. Are there any good web
sites that discuss this?

I take it the water does not freeze there?

Peter Bennett October 19th 04 02:17 AM

On 18 Oct 2004 20:39:44 GMT, (SDrumm6395) wrote:

As an "inland" boater now facing first winter with cruising boat left in the
water at Anacortes, Washington, I'm interested in what other boaters in this
northern climate do to prepare for winter weather. Are there any good web
sites that discuss this?

I make sure I've got an extra sweater and rain gear on the boat.

Also - rum, hot chocolate mix and propane

:-)

Seriously, since I have shore power available (and the yacht club
charges for it whether I use it or not) I leave a heater on, on "low",
and for the first time this year, I have a small dehumidifier aboard.

Previously, I've used those dehumidifier things that use some chemical
- but you have to go and dump the water and refill the chemical every
week or two.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Peter Bennett October 19th 04 02:34 AM

On 18 Oct 2004 17:19:34 -0500, Dave wrote:

On 18 Oct 2004 20:39:44 GMT, (SDrumm6395) said:

Are there any good web
sites that discuss this?

Dunno about web sites, but it seems like virtually every sailing magazine
had an article last month on winterizing.

Those articles usually assume you're going to haul out the boat, and
put it away for six months. Here in Lotus Land (AKA the Pacific
Northwet), many of us use our boats year-round, so most of the East
Coast/Great Lakes winterizing ceremonies don't apply.

Evan Gatehouse October 21st 04 05:02 AM

Usually I drain my fresh water tank an add the pink non toxic antifreeze.
If you get a real cold snap in Vancouver, fresh water tanks _can_ freeze if
much of them is above the waterline.

If you're not going to use the boat at all, consider taking home sails and
cushions to avoid winter mildew.

And I leave a 100W bulb burning with a socket screwed to a plywood base on
the cabin sole. It gives off enough heat to keep things dry.

Consider giving your motor a shot of fogging oil to keep rust down if you're
not going to use it and add a fuel stabilizer to the fuel.

Having said all that I have sailed in all months of the year around here;
you just have to dress a bit more warmly and pick the good days.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers).