BoatBanter.com

-   -   Coin under the mast (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/23370-coin-under-mast.html)

Lew Hodgett September 30th 04 04:10 AM

"engsol" writes:

My question to all my friends here is: should I replace the
original coin when I re-step the mast? Or should (can) I use
a more modern coin?

Don't even ask.

Lew

engsol September 30th 04 04:11 AM

Coin under the mast

As frequent readers know, I just bought my first "real" boat,
a Yankee 30 Mk 3.
Today, while getting the opinion of a boat yard guy re an
engine issue, I poked around the keel stepped mast step,
(really grungy), and found a washer....or at least I thought it
was a washer. I took it home and washed it off. Turned out
it was a silver dollar. 1880 Liberty.
My question to all my friends here is: should I replace the
original coin when I re-step the mast? Or should (can) I use
a more modern coin?
Norm B

Glenn Ashmore September 30th 04 04:44 AM

Put it back. That is Charon's fee for carrying you across the River Styx to
Hades after your boat sinks. On second thought, better replace it with a
Visa card. A silver dollar won't even get you from Seattle to Bremerton
these days. :-)

DSK September 30th 04 12:25 PM

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Put it back. That is Charon's fee for carrying you across the River Styx to
Hades after your boat sinks. On second thought, better replace it with a
Visa card. A silver dollar won't even get you from Seattle to Bremerton
these days. :-)

I dunno, an 1880 silver dollar could be anywhere from $15 to $35,000...
although I doubt one that's been under a mast step is mint...

I'd put it back, it's obviously good luck.

BTW did you hear the one about the Scottish vessel that they unstepped
the mast and found an IOU?

DSK

Peter W. Meek September 30th 04 01:39 PM

Not only put it back, but add your own contribution.
A modern coin with real metallic value would not
go amiss alongside the original coin. Don't try
to slip by one of these "sandwich" coins being used
by most modern mints. Go to a coin store and buy
some nice (but not necessarily rare) gold or
silver coin for your own contribution to the luck
of the vessel.

I have heard of boats with 3 or 4 coins beneath
the main mast, added as the years and owners
go by.

--Pete "Peter W. Meek"
Rec.boats caps and burgees at:
http://www.msen.com/~pwmeek/cap-main.html

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:44:03 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

Put it back. That is Charon's fee for carrying you across the River Styx to
Hades after your boat sinks. On second thought, better replace it with a
Visa card. A silver dollar won't even get you from Seattle to Bremerton
these days. :-)

.. .

BF September 30th 04 02:17 PM

I toured the USS Constitution a few years ago, while she was under
re-fitting. From the impressions left in the foot of the main mast, it
looked like someone had lost their whole piggy bank.
Ray

wrote:

Put it back. That is Charon's fee for carrying you across the River Styx

Hades after your boat sinks. On second thought, better replace it with a
Visa card. A silver dollar won't even get you from Seattle to Bremerton
these days. :-)

.. .

Jim Donohue October 1st 04 05:48 PM

Put it back. There is a corollary to the "mis-named boats all sink" rule.
I don't have the faintest idea what it is but you can be sure there is one.
It is a well established statistic that superstitious sailors sink at a rate
far, far less than their non-superstitious brethren.

Jim Donohue