BoatBanter.com

-   -   How watch TV on a boat? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/21358-how-watch-tv-boat.html)

[email protected] August 10th 04 04:50 PM

How watch TV on a boat?

Dumb question here..... but Im not a boater or sailor

Im curious as to what "specific" equip most people use
to watch TV on their boats?

Do you buy smallish LCD flat panel TVs and outdoor
antennas designed for mounting on a boat?

Do you make your own TV/Tivo by installing a
specialized video board into a PC and use that?

Do you just not HAVE any type of TV equip at all?

Thanks in advance

Doug Dotson August 10th 04 06:06 PM

How watch TV on a boat?

Comments below.

Doug
s/v Callista

wrote in message
Dumb question here..... but Im not a boater or sailor

Im curious as to what "specific" equip most people use
to watch TV on their boats?

We have a Panasonic AC/DC 13" color set and a Sharp 10.5"
LCD set.

Do you buy smallish LCD flat panel TVs and outdoor
antennas designed for mounting on a boat?

Several TV antennas are available for marine use.

Do you make your own TV/Tivo by installing a
specialized video board into a PC and use that?

Some do.

Do you just not HAVE any type of TV equip at all?

Some don't. Depends upon what kind of boating you do.

Thanks in advance

captnorm August 10th 04 06:42 PM

How watch TV on a boat?

I actually use the VHF antenna on top of the mast. Works quite well
(Marina del Rey, CA). Get some ghosting off buildings
(non-directional), but pretty strong signal. I have a Goldstone coax
switch, which switches in a small dummy antenna in case try to
transmit with switch in wrong position.

A few years ago, installed Samsung 17" tv/monitor on the wall. Plug a
small dvd player into it.

Norm
Actually 101 after hotmail

Rosalie B. August 10th 04 07:35 PM

How watch TV on a boat?

wrote:

Dumb question here..... but Im not a boater or sailor

Im curious as to what "specific" equip most people use
to watch TV on their boats?

Do you buy smallish LCD flat panel TVs and outdoor
antennas designed for mounting on a boat?

Do you make your own TV/Tivo by installing a
specialized video board into a PC and use that?

We just have a regular dual voltage 110/12V TV/VCR like the ones that
truckers have or for use in a van or something. Ours is a little
bigger than most of them (13" I think), and we got it from Damart or
Damark (can't keep them straight - one make thermal underwear and the
other doesn't) for not much money - under $200 I think. We have it
lashed down in the aft cabin.

The PO gave us an antenna, which we have mounted on the radar arch
above the radar dome. Gets pretty good reception when there is any.

We now also have a DirectTV dish with a follow-me antenna and it works
really well for when we are at anchor. We take the receiver from the
house to the boat when we go out, and bring it back to the house when
we come back. (We have another dish permanently mounted on the
house.)

grandma Rosalie

Dick August 15th 04 09:25 PM

Dumb question here..... but Im not a boater or sailor

Im curious as to what "specific" equip most people use
to watch TV on their boats?

We used a 13 inch RCA color TV with rabit ears pluged in to an inverter. But we
took it off after a while. We did not have time to watch it much and it was
just taking up space.

Lauri Tarkkonen August 15th 04 10:37 PM

In ake (Dick) writes:

Dumb question here..... but Im not a boater or sailor

Im curious as to what "specific" equip most people use
to watch TV on their boats?

We used a 13 inch RCA color TV with rabit ears pluged in to an inverter. But we
took it off after a while. We did not have time to watch it much and it was
just taking up space.

These days, you can get a flat lcd TV that is running on 12 Volts and if
you feel the need for it, you can have a digibox on 12-volts as well.
Depending on the location it might be usefull to have an antenna
amplifier. Then you watch it just like you do at your home.

If you do not have the equipment running on 12-volt, you need to ad an
inverter to the show, and you loose a few more amperes by transforming
your battery power to 120/230 Volts AC and then it will be transformed
back to 12 Volt DC on your equipment.

- Lauri Tarkkonen