BoatBanter.com

-   -   Mercruiser Alpha Shifting problems... (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/21091-mercruiser-alpha-shifting-problems.html)

Bob D. August 4th 04 04:44 PM

Mercruiser Alpha Shifting problems...

I Seem to be having a problem shifting. For the sake of explanation I am
referring to the outdrive state (Foward-Neutral-Reverse) as well as
shift/throttle lever position (Foward-Neutral-Reverse).

If I'm in outdrive and lever neutral, I can go into forward or reverse
without any problem. When the tranmission is in gear, forward or reverse,
I have no difficulty shifting into lever neutral, but the drive remains in
gear. I can proceed past lever neutral to the opposite gear to get into
neutral but sometimes that results in going into gear, resulting in my
having to hunt for neutral.

Seeing as I have replaced the outdrive, and drive shift cable, and had the
drive shift cable adjusted by a "professional", does this mean the control
cable(s) need to be replaced? I would think the slop to find neutral
would only be noticible from either forward or reverse but not both. How
hard is replacing the control cable(s). Do the quicksilver control boxes
ever wear out?

Thanks in advance,

Bob Dimond

Brian Whatcott August 5th 04 12:37 PM

Mercruiser Alpha Shifting problems...

A worn or broken tooth to the gear change cable at the power control
box has this effect.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK