BoatBanter.com

-   -   Shake and Break Part 11 - June 2, 2015 (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/168516-shake-break-part-11-june-2-2015-a.html)

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.[_3_] August 22nd 15 07:07 PM

Shake and Break Part 11 - June 2, 2015

On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 23:49:01 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:

On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 13:11:38 -0400, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:

It's coastal cruisers like myself who are the experts at anchoring.
We do those edges. We do it day in and day out and we don't get a
good night's sleep unless we learn how to do it right.

===

I know experts and you are not among their midst.

There are two kinds of people - those who teach or
pretend to teach and those who DO. I'm afraid you
have been brainwashed into believing those who teach
are the experts when nothing could be further from
the truth.

--
Sir Gregory

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.[_3_] August 22nd 15 07:13 PM

Shake and Break Part 11 - June 2, 2015

On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 23:47:44 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:

On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 18:25:47 +0700, wrote:

But certainly if not the racing world it must have been the cruising
mode, say an Atlantic crossing or two, maybe even a circumnavigations;
both capes one would expect.

No reason to be modest. Tell us, let us in on your vast breadth of
sailing experience.

===

Even more relevant would be a couple of winters in the Caribbean
Islands where serious cruisers from all over the world hang out. I've
done it twice and can't recall seeing a single boat anchored on
anything but chain. The charter boats are all picking up moorings
these days, and under every mooring is nothing but chain. They were
losing too many boats previously.

Serious cruisers? Gimme a BREAK! Call them what they are *faddish*
cruisers. IOW, dumbasses whose boats are too large or encumbered to
take off the beaten path. Idiots who think mooring fields and docks
are the cat's meows. Fools who crave the company of like fools.
Morons who anchor in crowded, smelly, noisy, wake-filled harbors
where the only thing poorer than the holding is the company.

All jammed together feeling so proud of themselves and actually
believing they are rugged individuals.

How ****ing droll!

--
Sir Gregory

Wayne.B August 22nd 15 09:34 PM

Shake and Break Part 11 - June 2, 2015

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 14:13:07 -0400, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:

[...]

You're a legend in your own mind.

FYI, the best use of two anchors is to keep the bow into the swell.
Deep in the Caribbean there are very few truly protected anchorages
and dealing with the ever present swells without rolling too much is
one of the biggest challenges. The other fairly common use of two
anchors is in a "med moor" situation which is common in European
ports. With a med moor you are docked stern to the seawall/dock
between other boats, while hanging from either one or two bow anchors
(sometimes mooring balls). The use of a second anchor helps to keep
you centered up and also offers a bit of extra security if the wind
comes up.

[email protected] August 23rd 15 04:55 AM

Shake and Break Part 11 - June 2, 2015

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 14:06:05 -0400, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:

On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 23:51:23 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 07:06:09 +0700, wrote:

It might be interesting to consider that in more than ten years of
active cruising among a group of sailors who, to a great extent,
sailed at least 500 miles, and more frequently further, just to get
here, I have never, let me repeat that NEVER, seen anyone use the so
called "Bahamas-style" of two anchors. Never! And, I might add, that
in 20 years of observing the Bugis sailors, perhaps the last group to
have used commercial sailing ships, I never saw them using a two
anchor mooring.

===

There's an old saying that two anchors are no substitute for a single
good one.

There are lots of old sayings that are little more than
another anachronism.

The fact is if you don't want your boat tacking around
at anchor the best way to keep it from doing so is to
cause it to lie to two anchors. One anchor in simply
inadequate as the vessel will continue to tack around
even on a chain rode.

Personally, I'd rather lie with the bow directly to
the wind. There are several reasons:

1) halyards don't slap during the extremes of the swing,

2) windscoops work perfectly and don't flutter or collapse,

3) bow stays pointed directly into wind-generated waves
and ventilation through the house is facilitated and
available each and every minute.

4) chaffing is minimized

5) directional antennas stay directed

6) scrunching, grunching, jerking and snatching are
non existent and that most ridiculous and unseamanlike
of all devices - the anchor *snubber* - is eliminated.

So, you wannabes just go ahead and continue to use your
all-chain rodes as you will be the only ones suffering the
adverse consequences (ignorance penalty).

And however would you know? Has there been a recent article in one of
the sailing magazines?

( I understand that in the U.S. you can get magazines free after a
certain date. I heard that once the next edition arrives that the news
vender will rip the front page off and give them to folks. Is that
true?)
--
Cheers,

Bruce

[email protected] August 23rd 15 05:04 AM

Shake and Break Part 11 - June 2, 2015

wrote:

It's coastal cruisers like myself who are the experts at anchoring.
We do those edges. We do it day in and day out and we don't get a
good night's sleep unless we learn how to do it right.

===

I know experts and you are not among their midst.

There are two kinds of people - those who teach or
pretend to teach and those who DO. I'm afraid you
have been brainwashed into believing those who teach
are the experts when nothing could be further from
the truth.

Ah yes. But what about those who DO not DO and still pretend to be
teachers?
--
Cheers,

Bruce

[email protected] August 23rd 15 05:10 AM

wrote:

[...]

And even more droll is the dodo that doesn't do it attempting to tell
those that do do it how to do it.
--
Cheers,

Bruce

Paul Cassel[_2_] August 23rd 15 03:48 PM

On 8/22/2015 9:55 PM, wrote:

( I understand that in the U.S. you can get magazines free after a
certain date. I heard that once the next edition arrives that the news
vender will rip the front page off and give them to folks. Is that
true?)
--

Yes and no. The vendor is supposed to rip the cover off & return just
that to get credit w/o shipping the entire book / magazine back to the

-paul

---

[email protected] August 24th 15 01:28 AM

Shake and Break Part 11 - June 2, 2015

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 08:48:03 -0600, Paul Cassel
wrote:

On 8/22/2015 9:55 PM, wrote:

( I understand that in the U.S. you can get magazines free after a
certain date. I heard that once the next edition arrives that the news
vender will rip the front page off and give them to folks. Is that
true?)
--

Yes and no. The vendor is supposed to rip the cover off & return just
that to get credit w/o shipping the entire book / magazine back to the
publisher. But he's supposed to destroy the rest. To give it away would
violate his agreement with the publisher / distributor. It's a form of
theft.

-paul

Well then, if they won't give the old ones away, I guess that poor old
Sir whats-his-name-this-week will have to steal a new copy.
--
Cheers,

Bruce