BoatBanter.com

-   -   Yanmar YSB12 Questions (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/167978-re-yanmar-ysb12-questions.html)

[email protected] July 5th 15 05:29 PM

Yanmar YSB12 Questions

Everything you need to know about Yanmar YSB12's can be found here
http://sailingthanksdad.com/?q=Yanmar-YSB12

On Tuesday, January 26, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Kyle Ewing wrote:
Hello,

I just purchased a 1978 S2 9.2A with a Yanmar YSB12. I've seen very little
written on the engine, but expect reliable operation based on Yanmar's
reputation. What can I expect from this specific engine, good or bad?
What sort of crusing range/engine run time can I expect with 18 gallons of
fuel?

Thanks in advance.

Kyle Ewing

Chicago, Illinois

[email protected] July 6th 15 01:14 AM

Yanmar YSB12 Questions

On Sun, 5 Jul 2015 09:29:42 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Everything you need to know about Yanmar YSB12's can be found here
http://sailingthanksdad.com/?q=Yanmar-YSB12

On Tuesday, January 26, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Kyle Ewing wrote:
Hello,

I just purchased a 1978 S2 9.2A with a Yanmar YSB12. I've seen very little
written on the engine, but expect reliable operation based on Yanmar's
reputation. What can I expect from this specific engine, good or bad?
What sort of crusing range/engine run time can I expect with 18 gallons of
fuel?

Thanks in advance.

Kyle Ewing

Chicago, Illinois

I never owned one of the 1 cylinder versions but with a two cylinder
Yanmar I used to get about 2 hours per gallon of diesel. But I believe
that most users of the single cylinder model get from 2 to 3 hours per
gallon, in an auxiliary sail boat.

But estimating fuel used on a boat is difficult as the amount of fuel
burned by a diesel depends largely on how much power the engine has to
produce to maintain the RPM that you have set with the throttle.
Whether up wind or down wind, how dirty the bottom is, what RPM you
run the engine at, all effect the amount of fuel used.
--
Cheers,

Bruce