BoatBanter.com

-   -   Cruising Boats Being Impounded by Mexican IRS (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/159807-re-cruising-boats-being-impounded-mexican-irs.html)

Bruce in bangkok January 10th 14 10:54 AM

Cruising Boats Being Impounded by Mexican IRS

On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 23:49:04 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

Big story, big fiasco, 338 boats so far.

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2014-01-08#.Us96MLRBGl9

Is there any references of what actually happened, and why?

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

[email protected] January 11th 14 02:08 AM

wrote:

Big story, big fiasco, 338 boats so far.

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2014-01-08#.Us96MLRBGl9

Is there any references of what actually happened, and why?

--

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

Probably the boats are being held under "minor technicalities" or 'clerical errors" that is, impounded while waiting for the appropriate palms to be greased.

Bruce in bangkok January 11th 14 11:07 AM

wrote:

Big story, big fiasco, 338 boats so far.

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2014-01-08#.Us96MLRBGl9

Is there any references of what actually happened, and why?

--

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

Probably the boats are being held under "minor technicalities" or 'clerical errors" that is, impounded while waiting for the appropriate palms to be greased.

I read one article by someone who's boat was seized and I gathered
that bringing a boat to Mexico without it being assumed to have been
imported and thus liable for some large import duty is a fairly
complicated, although well known, exercise. One of the guy's
complaints was that because the DIN on one boat had been "painted over
many years ago" it had been seized, I assume for incomplete
documentation.

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok