Default Shaft bearing

I am in Singapore this week and I checked on the split pillar block
bearing that I had previously recommended to Skip. The facts are that
while the bearings are manufactured by several companies (1) they are
seldom required by industry here and thus not stocked by local
suppliers and (2) while the vendor did not know the exact unit price
he estimated that it would be in the neighborhood of S$ 700 each , or
in the neighborhood of US$ 500.

Cheers,

Bruce

Hi, Bruce, and thanks for the research.

The prices are right at half of what we'd pay here.

Even though I'm not going to be using that (I believe that I have the cause
of the midshaft whip identified and resolved), I'm curious. Are these
stainless? I didn't search for anything else due to my experience with the
standard ones (pix at the current end of shaft gallery in the 2011 refit),
but if not, that could account for the sharp price difference.

L8R

Skip

--

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson
"Bruce" wrote in message
news

I am in Singapore this week and I checked on the split pillar block
bearing that I had previously recommended to Skip. The facts are that
while the bearings are manufactured by several companies (1) they are
seldom required by industry here and thus not stocked by local
suppliers and (2) while the vendor did not know the exact unit price
he estimated that it would be in the neighborhood of S$ 700 each , or
in the neighborhood of US$ 500.

Cheers,

Bruce

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 11:17:04 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Hi, Bruce, and thanks for the research.

The prices are right at half of what we'd pay here.

Even though I'm not going to be using that (I believe that I have the cause
of the midshaft whip identified and resolved), I'm curious. Are these
stainless? I didn't search for anything else due to my experience with the
standard ones (pix at the current end of shaft gallery in the 2011 refit),
but if not, that could account for the sharp price difference.

L8R

Skip

As the guy I talked to didn't have stock I didn't enquire as to the
material but I would guess not stainless. As to a requirement for
stainless.... what is your engine made from?

As for shaft whip. If the shaft is actually straight and is accurately
aligned and the stern bearing is even reasonably effective there
should be no flex in the shaft. My present boat has nearly ten feet of
unsupported shaft between the stuffing box and the stern bearings with
no flexing.

Cheers,

Bruce

"Bruce" wrote in message

As the guy I talked to didn't have stock I didn't enquire as to the
material but I would guess not stainless. As to a requirement for
stainless.... what is your engine made from?

As for shaft whip. If the shaft is actually straight and is accurately
aligned and the stern bearing is even reasonably effective there
should be no flex in the shaft. My present boat has nearly ten feet of
unsupported shaft between the stuffing box and the stern bearings with
no flexing.

The engine is iron, of course :{)) However, it wasn't in a direct line to
the constant river of water from our rudder gland, either :{))

Mine is a bit over 9' and I don't expect to need one when I have the shaft
cut to remove the potential for whip inducing extra length, either. It
didn't have one (though the mount, which we had to replace as it was
thoroughly rusted through, was there) when we bought the boat, and I'm sure
my surveyor would have noted any whip during his anally complete
inspection...

Shaft is ready for removal, now that I've gotten the pesky key out, so we'll
see if there is any non-straight issue. I really don't expect any, however,
as I had it very carefully straightened after our wreck...

Stay tuned :{))

L8R

Skip