BoatBanter.com

-   -   Tired of the ICW (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/114920-re-tired-icw.html)

Armond Perretta[_2_] April 6th 10 09:02 PM

Tired of the ICW

Frogwatch wrote:
My 28' sailboat is now in Stuart, Fl after transiting the Okechobee
waterway but I want to get to Bimini and then to the Berry Is. so I
need to get to Miami. However, I am now very tired of the ICW so I
would like to sail down the coast on the outside from Stuart to
Miami. If I stay within 5 miles of land, will I have any problems
with the Gulf Stream pushing me N.?

Sometimes you just must go with the flow. First you probably don't want to
mess with Saint Lucie Inlet unless you have local help or guidance of some
sort. Also there is little benefit running north in a slow sailboat to Fort
Pierce, which is a fine inlet, but, well, the opposite direction from where
you would like to go. Whatever happens you don't want to go against the
Stream for any period of time. It's just silly. Try what Wayne suggested.
Bite the bullet and "drive" south to West Palm or Lauderdale, and then shoot
over to Bimini. It's an easy hop and you should make it in one day, but if
not you can anchor safely on the Banks in reasonable weather if necessary.
The Berries are easy from Bimini.

When you begin to notice that everyone else does it this way, you will be
happy you did also.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat