BoatBanter.com

-   -   Jessica Watson (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/112243-jessica-watson.html)

Gregory Hall December 11th 09 07:15 PM

Jessica Watson

I was wondering why the northward jog in Jessica's course:

http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/the-voyage

It became obvious when I read what is written he

http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/pink-lady

"My goal is to sail solo around the world non-stop, unassisted. I have
chosen a route that is a traditionally recognised path and distance for
‘around the world sailors’. As this is a Southern Hemisphere voyage the
significant landmarks are the southern tips of the American and African
continents, as well as some of the most challenging oceans a sailor will
ever face. The entire journey is a mix of amazing experience and unique
challenges."

"There are a few key targets I must achieve to qualify for around the world
status. The approximate distance is 23,000 nautical miles (about 38,000
kilometres). I must depart and arrive from the same port, cross all lines of
longitude, cross the equator entering into the Northern Hemisphere at least
once and round the southern landmarks of South America and South Africa."

She's a brave and clever lass.

--
Gregory Hall

TonyB[_2_] December 11th 09 09:41 PM

Jessica Watson

"Gregory Hall" wrote in message
[...]

I've been following her blog, she seems mature for her years and obviously
has a lot of boat experience.
However, she hasn't had any heavy weather yet so time will tell. She's just
entering the colder southern ocean
approaching Cape Horn which will be a test of mettle. I gather she's a
qualified Yachtmaster too which is no
mean achievement at 16.

TonyB

--
Gregory Hall

Ian December 11th 09 11:12 PM

Jessica Watson

On 11 Dec, 21:41, "TonyB" wrote:

I've been following her blog, she seems mature for her years and obviously
has a lot of boat experience.

Well, if she's writing the blog she is.

Ian

Quilljar[_2_] December 11th 09 11:19 PM

Jessica Watson

Such cynicism in one so old Ian. :-)
--
Quilly

Gregory Hall December 11th 09 11:58 PM

Jessica Watson

"Ian" wrote in message
On 11 Dec, 21:41, "TonyB" wrote:

I've been following her blog, she seems mature for her years and
obviously
has a lot of boat experience.

Well, if she's writing the blog she is.

Ian

She's made it abundantly clear that she is, indeed, writing her own blog.
Somebody suggested that her stepmother was doing it and she was quite
insulted and posted to set the record straight.

--
Gregory Hall

Ian December 12th 09 10:48 AM

Jessica Watson

On 11 Dec, 23:58, "Gregory Hall" wrote:
"Ian" wrote in message

Well, if she's writing the blog she is.

She's made it abundantly clear that she is, indeed, writing her own blog.
Somebody suggested that her stepmother was doing it and she was quite
insulted and posted to set the record straight.

And who, I wonder, was "she"?

Ian

Boo December 19th 09 02:01 PM

Jessica Watson