BoatBanter.com

-   -   NPT and BSP threads (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/111016-npt-bsp-threads.html)

CS[_3_] October 20th 09 12:47 PM

NPT and BSP threads

I am looking at getting some water filters, 20 inch housings, with 3/4
inch NPT female connections in plastic tops. Can I get away with
screwing in 3/4 BSP taper male brass compression fittings, using a
good wind of PTFE tape??
Both are 14 TPI and the nominal NPT is 1.050 inch OD and BSP is
fractionally smaller at 1.041 inch OD.
TVMIA

Lew Hodgett[_3_] October 20th 09 04:42 PM

NPT and BSP threads

"CS" wrote:

I am looking at getting some water filters, 20 inch housings, with
3/4
inch NPT female connections in plastic tops. Can I get away with
screwing in 3/4 BSP taper male brass compression fittings, using a
good wind of PTFE tape??

No.

NPT is a tapered thread.

BSP is a straight thread.

You cann't get there from here.

Lew

Capt. JG October 20th 09 07:05 PM

NPT and BSP threads

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"CS" wrote:

I am looking at getting some water filters, 20 inch housings, with 3/4
inch NPT female connections in plastic tops. Can I get away with
screwing in 3/4 BSP taper male brass compression fittings, using a
good wind of PTFE tape??

No.

NPT is a tapered thread.

BSP is a straight thread.

You cann't get there from here.

Lew

Actually, it's possible to get an adapter it seems...

http://www.metricmcc.com/pricecatalog/8-849.htm
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...con/90001.html

I was curious, so I looked it up.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Lew Hodgett[_3_] October 20th 09 10:04 PM

NPT and BSP threads

"Capt. JG" wrote:

Actually, it's possible to get an adapter it seems...

We represent some European instrument companies and work with the
importer to supply adapters from BSP to NPT when req'd.

Strictly a convenience item.

Lew

Bruce In Bangkok October 21st 09 01:04 AM

NPT and BSP threads

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:05:43 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.. .

"CS" wrote:

I am looking at getting some water filters, 20 inch housings, with 3/4
inch NPT female connections in plastic tops. Can I get away with
screwing in 3/4 BSP taper male brass compression fittings, using a
good wind of PTFE tape??

No.

NPT is a tapered thread.

BSP is a straight thread.

You cann't get there from here.

Lew

Actually, it's possible to get an adapter it seems...

http://www.metricmcc.com/pricecatalog/8-849.htm
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...con/90001.html

I was curious, so I looked it up.

Actually old chap, under the use and custom policies of Usenet you are
cheating :-)
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Capt. JG October 21st 09 01:22 AM

NPT and BSP threads

wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
. ..

"CS" wrote:

I am looking at getting some water filters, 20 inch housings, with 3/4
inch NPT female connections in plastic tops. Can I get away with
screwing in 3/4 BSP taper male brass compression fittings, using a
good wind of PTFE tape??

No.

NPT is a tapered thread.

BSP is a straight thread.

You cann't get there from here.

Lew

Actually, it's possible to get an adapter it seems...

http://www.metricmcc.com/pricecatalog/8-849.htm
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...con/90001.html

I was curious, so I looked it up.

Actually old chap, under the use and custom policies of Usenet you are
cheating :-)
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Heh...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

CS[_3_] October 21st 09 02:56 PM

NPT and BSP threads

On 20 Oct, 16:42, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"CS" wrote:
I am looking at getting some water filters, 20 inch housings, with
3/4
inch NPT female connections in plastic tops. *Can I get away with
screwing in 3/4 BSP taper male brass compression fittings, using a
good wind of PTFE tape??

No.

NPT is a tapered thread.

BSP is a straight thread.

You cann't get there from here.

Lew

Please re read - BSP with a taper male thread - which I can get easily.