posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Whales and Diverter Valves

"it's me" wrote in message
On Oct 5, 6:05 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:42:52 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

I have a Westerbeke 13. It uses raw water to the heat exchanger. I don't
think the 13 is considered a big engine. I've been thinking about making
this sort of connection. I believe I first heard about it in a mag.
article... SAIL or Cruising World.. can't remember. Seems like a good
idea
for a last-resort situation.

With an engine in that size range you'd probably get more pumping
capacity for your money with a large electric pump, maybe something
like this:

http://www.rule-industries.com/products/pumps/bilge_pumps/rule_3700/i...

or

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O8F7RE

That would probably be 5 or 6 times the capacity of your raw water
pump.

Much better alternative, IMHO ... for one thing, it can be routed to a
float switch & an alarm, so you know it's running, and if it's
running, you need it.

Usually if you have a leak so serious that using the engine raw water
pump to stop flooding, it's progressed too far for any diverters or Y-
suctions to do you any good.

Perhaps, but a couple of things come to mind... first the Y valve is a lower
price (it's an unlikely possibility, but I suppose it's $200 or the cost of
my deductible)... then there's a place to mount the pump, the lines that
would need to be run, the electical, etc. Whereas, if it's just installing a
stopcock Y... also, the bilge pumps would be working also, so that would
assist the raw water pump in moving water.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com