BoatBanter.com

-   -   Hawk Channel (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/107990-hawk-channel.html)

[email protected] July 19th 09 03:28 PM

Hawk Channel

What is the deep of Hawk Channel south of Miami? How far can 5 1/2
boat make it to the Dry Tortugas.

Which way have boater gone south, Hawk Channel or Florida Bay route??

Thanx

Hanz

Wayne.B July 19th 09 05:50 PM

Hawk Channel

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 10:28:18 -0400, wrote:

What is the deep of Hawk Channel south of Miami? How far can 5 1/2
boat make it to the Dry Tortugas.

Which way have boater gone south, Hawk Channel or Florida Bay route??

We usually take Hawk Channel because it is considerably deeper than
the Florida Bay route. Hawk Channel averages about 15 ft in most
places and is never less than 10 ft. The Florida Bay channel is
barely over 5 ft in many areas, sometimes less at dead low tide.

Rosalie B. July 19th 09 07:38 PM

Hawk Channel

Wayne.B wrote:

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 10:28:18 -0400, wrote:

What is the deep of Hawk Channel south of Miami? How far can 5 1/2
boat make it to the Dry Tortugas.

Which way have boater gone south, Hawk Channel or Florida Bay route??

We usually take Hawk Channel because it is considerably deeper than
the Florida Bay route. Hawk Channel averages about 15 ft in most
places and is never less than 10 ft. The Florida Bay channel is
barely over 5 ft in many areas, sometimes less at dead low tide.

Some people with a five foot draft can make it down the Bay side if
they are careful or when they are being chased by a hurricane. Friends
of ours with a boat like ours did it.. We have never tried the Bay
side past Key Biscayne.

Past Marathon there really isn't much water on the Bay side. You can
go either side of the Marquesas to the Dry Tortugas from Key West.
We've gone both sides.