BoatBanter.com

-   -   You think you got spreaders? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/107679-you-think-you-got-spreaders.html)

Richard Casady July 8th 09 12:25 PM

You think you got spreaders?

Here in Iowa we have lots of grain elevators. Grain is elevated by a
long auger and destributed to the silos and bins by gravity. That;s
why they call it an elevator. They use spreaders to keep some of the
tubes from buckling. One in Winterset [John Wayne's home town] is
rediculous. They have four struts extending outward, and four more
connecting the outer ends. Total eight, forming a square and
diagonals. Seven sets, Fifty six struts. Damnest thing you ever saw.

Casady

stan July 12th 09 05:35 PM

You think you got spreaders?

On Jul 8, 9:25*am, Richard Casady wrote:
Here in Iowa we have lots of grain elevators. Grain is elevated by a
long auger and destributed to the silos and bins by gravity. That;s
why they call it an elevator. They use spreaders to keep some of the
tubes from buckling. One in Winterset [John Wayne's home town] is
rediculous. They have four struts extending outward, and four more
connecting the outer ends. Total eight, forming a square and
diagonals. Seven sets, Fifty six struts. Damnest thing you ever saw.

Casady

Wow. Goes against the grain* ............... as you might say?

* Oops sorry; that's about wood isn't it?