posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Default Cruisers Attacked by Wild Boars

"SteveB" wrote in message

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"SteveB" wrote in message

Hogzilla 1051#, Hog Kong 1140#

Now that's a lot of hog. No matter how you slice it, though, the swine is
fine! :-D

--
KLC Lewis

Irrefutable photographic proof of alien visitations!
www.KLCLewisStudios.com

After further thought and reading, I can see there was quite a controversy
over the Hogzilla incident, one being the weighing apparatus used and the
question of accurate weight, and the second that the shooter of the pig
was a ten year old person on a game reserve. All things taken into
account, whether the pig was 1,000# or, 1,041#, whether or not this was a
staged incident of a ten year old getting thrust into his 15 minutes of
fame, alleged photo manipulations, and other things the grand jury thought
about deliberating, but then denied doing because of "time constraints",
that's one big f-ing pig that someone shot.

Not to mention that this is becoming commonplace throughout the US, as
well as hog attacks.

I'll take the National Enquirer approach on this one, and that is that
they may have not gotten it exactly right, but there is some basis for a
story of interest there.

Steve

Guy I worked with in the 80's and went pig hunting with. His father in law
was killed by a wild boar. We have a lot in the hills around us, but do not
seem to be a problem. On the other side of the bay, near Crystal Spring
Reservoir, part of the San Francisco water system, the pigs come out into
the surrounding neighborhoods. One guy shot a 600# hog in the front yard.
The kids were playing out front when a pack of hogs came by. They leave the
lawns looking like a rototiller came through.

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 02:44:59 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

They hunt wild boar with bow and arrow in SE Ohio.

Talk about nasty critters.

Actually the sows are just as nasty. And they hunt them as well.

Casady
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

"SteveB" wrote in message

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

I remember that... they did a lot of culling after that...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

"SteveB" wrote in message

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

My BIL lives in Montgomery county, Texas. First thing they do when they get
to a hunt site is identify "their" tree so there's not two guys trying to
climb one tree. If you watched the videos, you can see that most "trees"
are only three or four inch saplings which allow the men to get a few feet
off the ground which cuts off the pig's attack. Lots of stories of injuries
to men, dogs, and horses. I can see deaths as common among the dogs. We
went out cruising on the "property", which is thousands of acres. Whenever
any of the landowners identify a new place where they are tearing up stuff,
they organize a hunt. Big traps are available at the local Tractor Supply,
as common as a mousetrap to them.

Steve

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 20:41:31 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 17:21:13 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
. ..
Well, not quite.

One of the things we really like about cruising is going out exploring
in the dinghy. This afternoon we found a nice beach on an island
north of Green Turtle Cay that appeared to be deserted. Less than two
minutes after landing however, a couple of local inhabitants came out
to greet us. After polite apologies were offered, we were allowed to
leave quickly and quietly:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/23519672

They look like babies... were the adults around?

I'd estimate about 30 inches high at the shoulder so definitely not
babies. No tusks fortunately but that could be a function of gender,
not sure though.

Any wild boar experts out there?

Probably feral domestic pigs. Big enough to be dangerous. Here in
Iowa, where we raise enormous numbers of pigs, they eat a farmer from
time to time.

Casady

Cruisers Attacked by Wild Boars Wayne.B General 51 June 20th 09 02:23 AM
Cruisers attacked in Columbia - 4 sep events (LONG) ouch Cruising 27 April 26th 08 12:26 AM
Macs attacked! Calif Bill General 6 February 19th 06 09:38 PM
japanese sub attacked California JAXAshby General 1 February 25th 04 06:31 PM
New site for cruisers- The Free Dockage Exchange for Cruisers J&J ASA 1 July 22nd 03 10:20 PM