BoatBanter.com

-   -   LIVE from Fourchon (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/106355-live-fourchon.html)

Bob May 24th 09 01:28 PM

LIVE from Fourchon

Well Im in the middle of my second hitch. Things are getting routeen.

Got to pour my first polyester resin socket. Im on a 4 point anchor
boat. Anchors are 10,000 lbs each. Anchor wire is 1 1/4" x 7,000
feet. Company requires a 10:1 scope on all sets.

So here is my question. In the good old days Ive seen babit poured in
a socket of course bear **** packed around the wire to keep the molten
babit form leaking out the bottom. I havent heard of using polyester
resin to stick a wire in a socket. I asked why not epoxy and got a
blank stare.

Do recreational boats use it? Seem to me there were two choices for
yachts: 1) swedged or 2) sta-loc type for standing rigging.

Opinion sought............

Bob