Default 35s5 Heart of Gold Website-UPDATED

Check out the now NEARLY complete website for a 1990 Beneteau First
35s5...Lots more info, pics and video!

http://heartofgold35s5.synthasite.com/

R.

Capt. Rob wrote:

Check out the now NEARLY complete website for a 1990 Beneteau First
35s5...Lots more info, pics and video!

http://heartofgold35s5.synthasite.com/

Hey Bob, I wasn't just trolling when I questioned you on the phrase
"United States Coast Guard inspected vessel." This has a very specific
meaning and since HofG is almost certainly not an "inspected vessel,"
you put yourself at risk by claiming to visitors that it is. There are
numerous safety requirements that are rather difficult for a smaller
boat to meet - many are immediately obvious to any observer, such as
larger lifelines and prominent labeling.

Since you need a Master's License to command an Inspected Vessel, one
might assume you're also claiming to have such a license. Add to this
your requirement that guests bring supplies beyond their personal needs,
which means they are "passengers for hire." Your wording this as a
"requirement" crosses the line of even the more liberal interpretation
of that reg. Considering all of this, you could be in serious trouble
if someone got hurt.

On May 10, 8:39 pm, jeff wrote:
Capt. Rob wrote:

[...]

Hi, Jeff,

Heart of Gold was not inspected by a the Aux. CG, but by a Coast Guard
Captain who used my boat, and two others in our marina, for a teaching
exercise. The inspection was more detailed that the Aux. one we
usually got and the CG had the boat hauled for it. I was not aboard
for it, but I got a nice certificate thanking me and saying the boat
met all requirements and so on. This may not actually be any different
from the white sticker we usually get, but they sure spent a lot of
time looking her over.
I seriously doubt anyone will care that I write "CG inspected" on my
website.

We sailed a bit today in pretty heavy air. Execution rocks reported
max gusts at 31.4, but it was fine with a reefed main. Heck...still
blowing over 28 now. If the wind calms down we'll try out a new
drifter tomorrow.

RB

On Sun, 10 May 2009 18:45:17 -0700 (PDT), "Capt. Rob"
wrote:

On May 10, 8:39 pm, jeff wrote:
Capt. Rob wrote:

[...]

It was pretty brisk outside New Haven. And the waves have a nice long
fetch from your area up to us.

Quite a few center consoles turned around and went back to port as
soon as they got outside.

It was pretty brisk outside New Haven. And the waves have a nice long
fetch from your area up to us.

Quite a few center consoles turned around and went back to port as
soon as they got outside.

I saw very few boats out. In retrospect it was a bad day to sail since
I was handling the boat alone. On the other hand I got the cabin
nicely aired out and my feet wet.

RB

"jeff" wrote in message
Capt. Rob wrote:

[...]

I looked into getting my boat up to "inspected vessel" status. It would have
been quite a hassle, with a lengthy list of things to change. This was right
at the time I got my original OUPV. My mentor basically talked me out of it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG wrote:
"jeff" wrote in message
Capt. Rob wrote:
[...]

I went through the same thinking when I got the PDQ. At first the
conversion didn't seem that onerous, but then I happened a take a trip
on a 50' cat that was Inspected and realized how difficult it would be
for a smaller boat to conform. All of those nice safety things on ferry
boats, like prominent labeling, and extra overboard gear, etc are all
part of the regs. Even if it were possible, it wouldn't be pretty!

RB assumes that because he had a "safety inspection" he is entitled to
declare his boat an "Inspected Vessel." Always the Used Car Salesman
mentality.

"jeff" wrote in message
RB assumes that because he had a "safety inspection" he is entitled to
declare his boat an "Inspected Vessel." Always the Used Car Salesman
mentality.

Oh, I suppose he's "entitled" to declare his boat an "Inspected Vessel," if
he wants. He's also entitled to be dragged into court over it, where he
would probably lose. But it's a free country, more or less. He can do what
he likes until a court order stops him. A civil suit would be the least of
his worries.

--
KLC Lewis
www.KLCLewisStudios.com

wrote:

I seriously doubt anyone will care that I write "CG inspected" on my
website.

At best it is misleading.

jeff wrote:

RB assumes that because he had a "safety inspection" he is entitled to
declare his boat an "Inspected Vessel." Always the Used Car Salesman
mentality.

I wouldn't sweat it, it's just more of Bob's bs. Think about it,
"inspected by a Coast Guard Captain",, I doubt that Bob realizes that
Capt. in the Coast Guard is a far more lofty rank than a Capt. in the
Army, equivalent of a full Colonel. What the hell would the Coast Guard
be doing using three private boats for anyway? The liability issues
alone would likely prevent such folly. Of course Bob could post a nice
clear PDF of this "Inspection Certificate", one that clearly shows the
name of the inspecting officer, his rank and his Station....

If it's legit we could easily contact the Station in question and find
out about getting this nifty inspection ourselves....

Cheers
Martin

35s5 Heart of Gold Capt. Rob ASA 294 September 24th 08 11:48 PM
Heart of Gold and the Girls of Gold! Capt. Rob ASA 2 June 15th 07 11:19 PM
Heart of Gold Website-Updates Capt. Rob ASA 17 August 22nd 06 12:31 AM
Heart of Gold Website Capt. Rob ASA 14 August 19th 06 02:21 AM
Heart of Gold Joe ASA 2 March 8th 06 01:23 AM