Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Shawn

Default Lead ballast in bow - why?

hi all

I have a Halvorsen Island Gypsy 30 displacement cruiser built in 1978. The
boat has the original Ford 120hp engine. I have owned the boat for a couple
of months. Someone has placed about 10 ingots of lead in the bow "v" which
sit unsecured but somewhat wedged and immobile.

The boat sits quite level (if anything with a slight bias toward being low
in the bows - not surprising) and floats within its marked waterline
(apparently fine).

Does anyone know if this is a standard fitting or has someone just had a
bright idea at sometime and should I take it all out? I would have thought
this would have been glassed in if it were deemed necessary by the
manufacturer . . . Kong and Halvorsen.

regards Shawn
"Scallywag"
Brisbane Australia