Default A reminder

Gordon wrote in
m:

Larry wrote:
Bruce In Bangkok wrote in
:

Any thoughts on using a 555 as a pulse width modulator to drive a
LED from a 12 volt source? I am presently using a 7806 and a
resister but that ends up drawing about as many amps as an
incandescent light.

That last one from Singapore is rated at 8A....It oughta dim the
whole LED suite in the boat!

How cool....as she gets "in the mood"....you lay your hand back
behind the settee and slowly dim all the lights almost imperceptably
to match her increasing excitement.

Yeah....I can see a great use for such a dimmer....(c;]

Hmmm. Need to dim the lights? Got sumting you don't want her to see?

......or LACK something for her to see....hee hee....

The BEAST!

In article , Larry wrote:
Justin C wrote in
:

No! You got (possibly) the wrong end of the stick. The wife wants to
come along too, it's just that a Folkboat is too small for two!

Go to Youtube and do a search for "Keep Turning Left".....your kind of
boat....(c;

BTDT, I've got them book-marked. I'm just waiting for him to get going
again and finish what he started. I've enjoyed the series. Not long
after he started he went past my neck of the woods, and it was nice to
see my nearest port (Rye) through the eyes of someone who doesn't know
the area. Dylan Winter is a BBC reporter, I think it's his journalistic
skills that make his videos that bit better than your average Joe trying
to make a documentary.

But his boat's a little small for my tastes - the wife insists on a
separate heads, and I insist on one that's plumbed in - none of this
porta-potti crap (pardon the pun).

I'm eyeing up an Elizabethan 29 at the moment. Trying to justify
spending the money.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

In article , jeff wrote:
Justin C wrote:
In article , cavelamb wrote:
Larry wrote:
Gordon wrote in
m:

What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of
food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form
of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's
all - in the material sense, and we know it.
Catalina 22?
something with a real keel!

If it was just me (and not my wife too), I'd have a Folkboat - and I
wouldn't be here!

Justin.

I've spent a fair amount of time in a wooden Folkboat. It was one of
the least comfortable I've sailed. I didn't mind too much, but the
owner's wife got seasick thinking about it (which is why I got so much
time in it). I'll admit they have a good passage record for a 26
footer, but its not a boat I could "take off" in. But, give me a
Nonsuch 26 and no ties ...

I'm not keen on those rigs. I've never sailed on, but they just don't
look right to me. Given the budget I'd leave the Folkboat and be on a
Francis 26 - that Chuck Paine can certainly design sweet looking boats.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Justin C wrote:
But, give me a Nonsuch 26 and no ties ...

I'm not keen on those rigs. I've never sailed on, but they just don't
look right to me.

I have to admit the wishbone looks weird, and sometimes the boat can
feel odd with the weight and windage aloft. But the ability to
singlehand in tight quarters with little effort makes it worthwhile. I
did much more sailing in my Monsuch 30 than I do now in the bigger
catamaran, because I use to raise sail 100 feet from the slip and tack
out of the harbor. The 30 felt small once the sail was up, but the
weight of the sail (for raising) and the boat (for docking), not to
mention the windage makes it a tad too big for one person. That's why I
tend to think of a Nonsuch 26 (or even the 22) for when my horizons are
not quite as far. (And yes, I know its hard to heave to in a Nonsuch,
but double reefed they can handle any wind I'd care to be out in.)

Given the budget I'd leave the Folkboat and be on a
Francis 26 - that Chuck Paine can certainly design sweet looking boats.

A lovely boat for sure, but rather pricy for what you get! Most don't
even have standing headroom, I think. I'd rather have one on the
mooring next to mine, so I could admire it from a short distance.

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 04:13:19 +0000, Larry wrote:

Bruce In Bangkok wrote in
:

Any thoughts on using a 555 as a pulse width modulator to drive a LED
from a 12 volt source? I am presently using a 7806 and a resister but
that ends up drawing about as many amps as an incandescent light.

That's exactly how an LED taillight on a vehicle or trailer works. When
you turn on the taillight circuit wire, the lights are pulsed with a

Snipped

Thanks Larry.

(ain't it amazing the information one can get from boaties?)

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Justin C wrote in
:

But his boat's a little small for my tastes -

I think that's one of the things that makes his videos even more
interesting. The tides he's shown us so far are just awful, even on a
small boat. He couldn't show us half of the British coast in a larger
boat....

Bruce In Bangkok wrote in
:

(ain't it amazing the information one can get from boaties?)

My confession is I used Google.

Ain't it amazing the information one can get from GOOGLE?....(c;]

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 04:56:44 +0000, Larry wrote:

Bruce In Bangkok wrote in
:

(ain't it amazing the information one can get from boaties?)

My confession is I used Google.

Ain't it amazing the information one can get from GOOGLE?....(c;]

Aah - you destroy the mystique...

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Bruce In Bangkok wrote in
:

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 04:56:44 +0000, Larry wrote:

Bruce In Bangkok wrote in
m:

(ain't it amazing the information one can get from boaties?)

My confession is I used Google.

Ain't it amazing the information one can get from GOOGLE?....(c;]

Aah - you destroy the mystique...

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Oh, sorry....I try to be honest and truthful....not like my government.

Just a Reminder Capt. Rob ASA 16 July 11th 06 02:01 AM
One More Reminder Joe ASA 1 June 30th 06 08:40 PM
Just a reminder.... Capt. Rob ASA 14 May 21st 06 03:05 AM
Just a reminder JimH General 28 December 23rd 05 01:47 AM
Trailer Reminder JDavis1277 General 0 January 1st 04 02:26 PM