BoatBanter.com

-   -   Chainplate bedding (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/103305-chainplate-bedding.html)

[email protected] March 12th 09 12:28 AM

Chainplate bedding

Has anyone use SILAPRENE SolidSeal Polyurethane SEALANT/ADHESIVE to bed
their chain plates??

Hanz

KLC Lewis March 12th 09 12:38 AM

Chainplate bedding

wrote in message
Has anyone use SILAPRENE SolidSeal Polyurethane SEALANT/ADHESIVE to bed
their chain plates??

Hanz

Sorry, don't know that one. I use Sikaflex 227 for that.

cavelamb March 12th 09 01:15 AM

Chainplate bedding

wrote:
But do you need a primer??

I did.
It's highly recommended, so why not use it - as recommended???

Hanz

KLC Lewis March 12th 09 02:42 AM

Chainplate bedding

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...

cavelamb wrote:

KLC Lewis wrote:

wrote in message

Has anyone use SILAPRENE SolidSeal Polyurethane SEALANT/ADHESIVE to
bed their chain plates??

Hanz

Sorry, don't know that one. I use Sikaflex 227 for that.

ditto

Primer...Hmmm...

I clean out the old compound every few years (actually twice in seven
years), as well as I can and as far as I can reach, then pump in the new. I
don't paint over it, if that's the primer you mean.

Gordon March 12th 09 03:46 PM

Chainplate bedding

KLC Lewis wrote:
wrote in message
Has anyone use SILAPRENE SolidSeal Polyurethane SEALANT/ADHESIVE to bed
their chain plates??

Hanz

Sorry, don't know that one. I use Sikaflex 227 for that.

Sounds like torture to me?
Gordon

[email protected] March 13th 09 02:38 AM

Chainplate bedding

Gogarty wrote:
.... Dig out as much of the old goop as possible, flood
the area with acetone, then I use Boat Life Liquid. It really, really gets
down into the spaces and waterproofs the chain plate. Indeed, it is a
pleasure to see a bit of it dribble down the chainplate inside the boat

hmm... on't they sell masking tape where you live?

Anyway I've use Boat Life (iirc it's one of the polysulfides) but not
Boat Life Liquid.... sounds good. I have to o that exact job on my
boat (among others).

Fresh Breezes- Doug King