BoatBanter.com

-   -   Yeah, I know "plonk" (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/103065-yeah-i-know-plonk.html)

KLC Lewis March 2nd 09 11:16 PM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

Sort of like Ron Paul. I like the guy, don't get me wrong. But, if we were
stupid enough to implement his ideas, there would be a lot of continuing
suffering.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

And much like heroin junkies, we, as a country, will do anything to keep
from jonesing. We get our fix, we think we "got well," but all we did was
prolong and compound the addiction. The country has gone so terribly far off
track in many areas that there is no conceivable way to "fix the problem"
that will not be as painful as drilling a nice healthy tooth with no
anesthesia.

Wayne.B March 2nd 09 11:33 PM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 17:16:50 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

The country has gone so terribly far off
track in many areas that there is no conceivable way to "fix the problem"
that will not be as painful as drilling a nice healthy tooth with no
anesthesia.

I'd rather go cruising on my new multi-hull.

KLC Lewis March 2nd 09 11:59 PM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

wrote:

The country has gone so terribly far off
track in many areas that there is no conceivable way to "fix the problem"
that will not be as painful as drilling a nice healthy tooth with no
anesthesia.

I'd rather go cruising on my new multi-hull.

I'd settle for going cruising on a nice second-hand barrel.

Capt. JG March 3rd 09 12:12 AM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

Sort of like Ron Paul. I like the guy, don't get me wrong. But, if we
were stupid enough to implement his ideas, there would be a lot of
continuing suffering.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

And much like heroin junkies, we, as a country, will do anything to keep
from jonesing. We get our fix, we think we "got well," but all we did was
prolong and compound the addiction. The country has gone so terribly far
off track in many areas that there is no conceivable way to "fix the
problem" that will not be as painful as drilling a nice healthy tooth with
no anesthesia.

Certainly true. I just don't believe RP's "solution" is much of a solution.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bruce in Bangkok[_13_] March 3rd 09 01:45 AM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 10:46:21 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 21:49:23 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 11:18:44 -0500, hpeer wrote:

Stephen Trapani wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 11:51:36 -0500, Marty wrote:

Jon, I think he must be really great, President for only 40 days and
already decisions made by 10 years of Republican Congresses and 8
years of Republican Presidency are his fault! Now that's talent!

More interesting is how all of these guys got into financial trouble
in only 40 days. That's talent also.

That said, this really isn't the right place.

In order to fervently believe what we want to believe we have to
desperately ignore what we have to ignore in order to think that the
Congress has been controlled by Republicans for the last four years.
Whatever you do, *don't* actually check this easily checked fact
anywhere, like, say, he

http://uspolitics.about.com/od/usgov...division_2.htm

Instead, use blinding strategies like maybe ridicule this **** out of
this post so you can continue to blame who you've been blaming,
instead
of learning anything new. After all, we wouldn't all want to be
supporting a large increase in the same thing we've been doing for the
last four years, would we? That would be insane!

Steph

The problem is that Congress has been ruled by POLITICIANS, whatever
their ilk. People whose only goal is to get reelected. No fish monger
ever cried "Bad fish for sale!"

The problem is the people who perfumed over the stink figuring they were
going to get a piece of the profit.

People vote for who tells them what they want to hear. Forget the 2000
election. Who voted for W in 2004? The People! Idiots.

So don't blame Bush now, and don't blame Obama in 2012. They are merely
characters in a play - speaking their lines - written by "We The
People."

Rant off.

In fact, while I don't remember exactly what Obama said during the
primary and the campaign the overwhelming recollection I have is that
he intended to "bring the boys home" right now! Of course, once
elected "right now" isn't exactly "this instance" it is "sometime next
year", "the year after", "well, maybe in a while".

He was reported on the news, over here, as saying that he is going to
balance the budget by "cutting government expenditures and taxing rich
people" which seems a little misleading coming, as it did, just after
the reporting that it was "the biggest bail-out in history".

My impression is that Obama, to give him all the credit due was simply
the better "politician". and I suppose deserves to be President.

On the other hand, I have the sneaking suspicion that it may not make
much difference what party is in power as if the boat has a big hole
in it all you can do is bail.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

He said 16 mos. It's now going to be 19, plus longer for core troops. I
think he's following the advise he's being given by the generals and
following his campaign promise as best he can.

I don't think what he's attempting to do is misleading, although it may
not
be intuitive. The short term needs to be dealt with in the, um, short
term.
The longer term is next.

As I said, I really didn't pay much attention and it was only a
impression I was left with.

But good on him if he can get out of that mess. Of course, there is
another 70,000 tip-toeing off to Afghanistan but apparently we are
getting out of Iraq... well, except for some that will be left to
ensure peace, aid the locals, or whatever.

I do wonder about the Afghan thing though. It is my certain, sure,
recollection that a number of people have gone over there to teach 'em
"what is what". None successfully, but they went. the Brits even went
twice if my memory serves me.

There is that quote about "those who refuse to read history are doomed
to repeat it".

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Afganistan is a different war for a different and most would argue for
legitimate reason. If we had started and stopped there, we'd be in a lot
better place IMHO, but in any case, we have to try. I think the best model
is to build up their infrastructure (as the Romans did) and that'll help
stablize the country.

Except that the Roman's didn't build up the infrastructure for the
benefit of the "locals" who couldn't, until very late in the empire
period even aspire to become a Citizen of Rome. The idea was to build
up the infrastructure for the benefit of ROME.

The problem seems to be the apparent "American" belief that everything
is fixable. I admit to being a cynic but I do believe that a great
percentage of the worlds population are not the warm fuzzy people that
the liberals seem to imagine.

If it served no other purpose the "Viet Nam War" should have served to
teach the U.S. not to involve themselves in places that they don't
understand. The famous "domino theory" that was the excuse for the
involvement in Viet Nam was a false as the great "WMD" theory.
Now, I understand, the U.S. is going to donate millions? billions? to
the Palestinians to "help them recover from the war".

My impression of Afghanistan is that it is an essentially feudal
country with a religion that can easily be interpreted to reinforce
that form of government. The people are fiercely independent and are
well aware that they have triumphed over every foreigner who has
invaded them, and don't think for a moment that because the majority
perhaps can't read that they don't know that they beat the British
(twice) and the Russians. These stories will be told "around the camp
fire" for few more centuries, at least.

It appears that the idea is to "help" these people by imposing a
foreign concept, a "Democratic Government", an idea that is
undoubtedly as strange and abhorrent to the average Afghan as the idea
of a hereditary royalty would be to the average American. In addition
these outsiders are going to "help us" by slaughtering the Fierce
Crusaders who have, with few if any assets, been resisting those
ungodly Devils who would destroy our faith. And not only that, but
these same Devils are intent on destroying the country's major source
of foreign currency, the fountain from which all blessings flow.

Yet another morass that the country will march blindly into without
the slightest idea of how to get out of.

I suggest that a return to the Powell Doctrine would not be a mistake.

Articulated by Gen. Powell when he was chairman of the Joint Chiefs of
Staff during the Gulf War, the Powell Doctrine was designed to avoid,
as Powell once put it, "halfhearted warfare for half-baked reasons
that the American people could not understand or support." The Powell
Doctrine held that military force should only be used if there was a
clear risk to national security; that the force used should be
overwhelming; and that the operation must have strong public support
and a clear exit strategy.

Note particularly the last five words.

Capt. JG March 3rd 09 01:58 AM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

m...

Stephen Trapani wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

Umm... it would be for our benefit.

Not sure what you mean by fixable. We can't allow bin laden and his group to
run free either in Afganistan or Pakistan. Especially in the case of
Pakistan, they have nukes. There is certainly a proven risk to our security
for those two countries... unlike Iraq which was a war of choice.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

[email protected] March 3rd 09 03:04 AM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

It wasn't the Romans, it was Alexander and his successors.

"Capt. JG" wrote:
Besides encouraging the marrying of foreigners, he mostly just fought a lot,

Missing the point twice.

1- by marrying local royalty, he cemented his own claim to local
rulership

2- "a lot of fighting" is not really accurate, Alexander did the least
amount of fighting commensurate with achieving his goal of subjugating
the tribes. And they stayed subjugated because he recruited a large
percentage of fighting-age males, reducing the tribes military
strength. It also played into a strategy of dividing the tribes rather
than uniting them against foreign invasion.

A heck of a lot of politicians and generals could learn a lot from
Alexander.

although he did build some road/shipyard/etc. I believe the Romans actually
built the infrastructure.

I'm not familiar with Roman-built infrastructure in what is now
Afghanistan.

In any event, I agree that we have a strategic interest in Afghanistan
and Pakistan... in fact thru much of the undeveloped Muslim world. And
we should join with our natural allies, Muslim parents who want to see
their kids grow up rather than be recruited as suicide bombers.

DSK

[email protected] March 3rd 09 03:06 AM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

"KLC Lewis" wrote:
I'd settle for going cruising on a nice second-hand barrel.

How about cruising -with- a nice barrel?

Preferably on a multihull ;)

DSK

KLC Lewis March 3rd 09 03:20 AM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

"KLC Lewis" wrote:
I'd settle for going cruising on a nice second-hand barrel.

How about cruising -with- a nice barrel?

Preferably on a multihull ;)

DSK

Well, that would depend upon the contents of the barrel. lol

Capt. JG March 3rd 09 05:31 AM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

"Capt. JG" wrote:
[...]

Right, but he didn't build the roads. :-)

I don't believe they did that in Afganistan... something we should do.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bruce in Bangkok[_13_] March 3rd 09 06:09 AM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

wrote:

om...

Stephen Trapani wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

What, in God's world, do you care about what Bin Ladin does in
Afghanistan? What you want to do is keep them out of the U.S.'s hair
which, I agree may be impossible.

The solution, of course, since you can't seem to catch him, is to fall
back on what you do well and simply to obliterate any area where you
have any evidence that they might be.

Of course, this is going to raise a great cry about "non-combatants"
and collateral damage which will effectively force the Government out
of the eradication project and play right into the hands of the
terrorists.

Regarding "non-combatants" does anyone know, or remember, what the
local Afghan ladies did to captured Russian (or British, in their
time) soldiers? Probably rather difficult to consider someone sawing
away at your testicles, with a dull knife, to be really a
non-combatant - and you probably don't care much anyway.

I suggest that the only effective method of dealing with terrorists is
to shoot 'em.

Richard Casady March 3rd 09 10:43 AM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 16:58:43 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

If the Crushed Lintball can't drive the bus, he doesn't want to be on it at
all. Personally, I do not believe for a minute that he is actually a
"conservative." I believe he simply found "being a conservative" to be one
hell of a cash cow, and started milking for all she was worth. What he
actually believes in is the Almighty Dollar.

I have listened to RL once, a friend had it on in his car. The only
thing I remember the gag ad for the 25 hp document shredder.
The one with ' subponea speed ' Able to do a six drawer cabinet in
less time than it takes the Feds to get past your secretary.

Casady

KLC Lewis March 3rd 09 03:14 PM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

wrote:

If the Crushed Lintball can't drive the bus, he doesn't want to be on it
at
all. Personally, I do not believe for a minute that he is actually a
"conservative." I believe he simply found "being a conservative" to be one
hell of a cash cow, and started milking for all she was worth. What he
actually believes in is the Almighty Dollar.

I have listened to RL once, a friend had it on in his car. The only
thing I remember the gag ad for the 25 hp document shredder.
The one with ' subponea speed ' Able to do a six drawer cabinet in
less time than it takes the Feds to get past your secretary.

Casady

Ya, he does, at times, seem to have a very good sense of humor. None at all
about himself, though.

Capt. JG March 3rd 09 06:44 PM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 17:58:43 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

snip to save space
Umm... it would be for our benefit.

Not sure what you mean by fixable. We can't allow bin laden and his group
run free either in Afganistan or Pakistan. Especially in the case of
Pakistan, they have nukes. There is certainly a proven risk to our
security
for those two countries... unlike Iraq which was a war of choice.

What, in God's world, do you care about what Bin Ladin does in
Afghanistan? What you want to do is keep them out of the U.S.'s hair
which, I agree may be impossible.

He planned the 9/11 attacks from there. The borders are porous, so it's easy
to import/export the jihadists. And, he needs to pay for what he did.

The solution, of course, since you can't seem to catch him, is to fall
back on what you do well and simply to obliterate any area where you
have any evidence that they might be.

??

Of course, this is going to raise a great cry about "non-combatants"
and collateral damage which will effectively force the Government out
of the eradication project and play right into the hands of the
terrorists.

I sure does. You're advocating killing hundreds of thousands of innocent
people.

Not sure what your advocating, since it makes no sense.

Regarding "non-combatants" does anyone know, or remember, what the
local Afghan ladies did to captured Russian (or British, in their
time) soldiers? Probably rather difficult to consider someone sawing
away at your testicles, with a dull knife, to be really a
non-combatant - and you probably don't care much anyway.

No idea what this has to do with the current situation...

I suggest that the only effective method of dealing with terrorists is
to shoot 'em.

First we have to find them. Bush failed to do this, even though bin laden
was in his sights. Perhaps Obama can do better.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

KLC Lewis March 3rd 09 07:13 PM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
.. .
First we have to find them. Bush failed to do this, even though bin laden
was in his sights. Perhaps Obama can do better.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Given the Bush family's ties to the bin Laden family, there was never any
chance that Osama would be "brought to Justice" by Dubya. This may change
now that the Bush family has lost the Big Chair, and it may not. Osama bin
Laden may well have died some time ago.

Bruce in Bangkok[_13_] March 4th 09 01:02 AM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 10:44:48 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 17:58:43 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

snip to save space
Umm... it would be for our benefit.

Not sure what you mean by fixable. We can't allow bin laden and his group
run free either in Afganistan or Pakistan. Especially in the case of
Pakistan, they have nukes. There is certainly a proven risk to our
security
for those two countries... unlike Iraq which was a war of choice.

What, in God's world, do you care about what Bin Ladin does in
Afghanistan? What you want to do is keep them out of the U.S.'s hair
which, I agree may be impossible.

He planned the 9/11 attacks from there. The borders are porous, so it's easy
to import/export the jihadists. And, he needs to pay for what he did.

So? do you propose closing the borders of Afghanistan? Eliminating the
largest source of foreign funds - the narcotics business?

The solution, of course, since you can't seem to catch him, is to fall
back on what you do well and simply to obliterate any area where you
have any evidence that they might be.

Of course, this is going to raise a great cry about "non-combatants"
and collateral damage which will effectively force the Government out
of the eradication project and play right into the hands of the
terrorists.

I sure does. You're advocating killing hundreds of thousands of innocent
people.

My point is who are innocent? The people who are willing to die flying
airplanes into buildings? Or the family and friends that support them?
The people that donate money to the cause? the people that "overlook"
their fanatically actions? the religious teachers that preach support
for them?

If the guys that fly airplanes are baddies why not a little emphasis
on the Saudis? After all that is where they came from and the people
who provide much of the money to support their activities.

But, to return to the innocent people, do you really believe that the
terrorists aren't supported by the locals? That someone who supports
their aims isn't cooking the bread that they eat, selling them their
pickup trucks, their shirts and pants? Trucking the arms and supplies
through the mountains?

Are you really so naive that you believe that you can somehow separate
out the relatively few actual shooters from the people that finance
and support them?

If the women are happy, in fact eager to carve the wounded or
captured, into kabobs, and have no doubts about it, they are, how can
you argue that they are innocent?

The pitiful part is that you don't learn from history. You went into
Vietnam for as nebulous a reason as the "Weapons of Mass Destruction",
and you attempted to wage war against "combatants", you lost, but you
didn't learn. Next you embarked on an exercise in Africa and that
didn't turn out well. Then came Iraq I and you did a pretty creditable
job, except your objectives were not well thought out so you stopped
short of what should have been your objective. Then Iraq II and look
at the mess that has been made of that. Now comes Afghanistan and yet
again you are undertaking a task that is probably impossible to
complete. Or do you really think that the "movement" will die with Ben
Ladan? Or will he simply become another martyr to the cause?

I applaud your objectives but I really wonder at your ignorance in
undertaking a task that England, the greatest empire the world had
known, tried twice and failed. the Russians, with their much shorter
lines of supply, tried it and failed. Not you are going to try it -
halfway round the world with all the logistics problems that entails,
in an area where the religion and history teaches the people to resist
"invaders" and while your nation is embroiled in the largest economic
disaster in the history of the world.

The mind boggles.

Not sure what your advocating, since it makes no sense.

Regarding "non-combatants" does anyone know, or remember, what the
local Afghan ladies did to captured Russian (or British, in their
time) soldiers? Probably rather difficult to consider someone sawing
away at your testicles, with a dull knife, to be really a
non-combatant - and you probably don't care much anyway.

No idea what this has to do with the current situation...

I suggest that the only effective method of dealing with terrorists is
to shoot 'em.

First we have to find them. Bush failed to do this, even though bin laden
was in his sights. Perhaps Obama can do better.

How do you plan on "finding him"? you don't even know whether he is in
Afghanistan or not. He may even be living in the Bronx. If the US
government can't locate all the millions of "illegal immigrants" how
can they ever locate one guy in a cave, somewhere?

Capt. JG March 4th 09 01:17 AM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 17:58:43 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

snip to save space
Umm... it would be for our benefit.

Not sure what you mean by fixable. We can't allow bin laden and his
group
run free either in Afganistan or Pakistan. Especially in the case of
Pakistan, they have nukes. There is certainly a proven risk to our
security
for those two countries... unlike Iraq which was a war of choice.

What, in God's world, do you care about what Bin Ladin does in
Afghanistan? What you want to do is keep them out of the U.S.'s hair
which, I agree may be impossible.

He planned the 9/11 attacks from there. The borders are porous, so it's
easy
to import/export the jihadists. And, he needs to pay for what he did.

So? do you propose closing the borders of Afghanistan? Eliminating the
largest source of foreign funds - the narcotics business?

Not possible. We can't do that with our borders. I'm proposing that those
who planned the attack and who actively supported the attack are eliminated.
Instead of following the doctrine of ignoring the narco business in
Afganistan, we should be attempting to eliminate it by supporting the local
economy for other items.

The solution, of course, since you can't seem to catch him, is to fall
back on what you do well and simply to obliterate any area where you
have any evidence that they might be.

Of course, this is going to raise a great cry about "non-combatants"
and collateral damage which will effectively force the Government out
of the eradication project and play right into the hands of the
terrorists.

I sure does. You're advocating killing hundreds of thousands of innocent
people.

My point is who are innocent? The people who are willing to die flying
airplanes into buildings? Or the family and friends that support them?
The people that donate money to the cause? the people that "overlook"
their fanatically actions? the religious teachers that preach support
for them?

My point is that tolerating bin laden and supporting the radicals are two
different things. The kids and a large percentage of the adults are
innocent. We need a scalpel not a howitzer.

If the guys that fly airplanes are baddies why not a little emphasis
on the Saudis? After all that is where they came from and the people
who provide much of the money to support their activities.

Your point? I suppose you're going to advocate attacking Saudi Arabia? Why
not just work on our energy policy and cut down on the oil we import from
them.

But, to return to the innocent people, do you really believe that the
terrorists aren't supported by the locals? That someone who supports
their aims isn't cooking the bread that they eat, selling them their
pickup trucks, their shirts and pants? Trucking the arms and supplies
through the mountains?

See previous.

Are you really so naive that you believe that you can somehow separate
out the relatively few actual shooters from the people that finance
and support them?

See previous.

If the women are happy, in fact eager to carve the wounded or
captured, into kabobs, and have no doubts about it, they are, how can
you argue that they are innocent?

Come on. That's not much of an argument.

The pitiful part is that you don't learn from history. You went into
Vietnam for as nebulous a reason as the "Weapons of Mass Destruction",
and you attempted to wage war against "combatants", you lost, but you
didn't learn. Next you embarked on an exercise in Africa and that
didn't turn out well. Then came Iraq I and you did a pretty creditable
job, except your objectives were not well thought out so you stopped
short of what should have been your objective. Then Iraq II and look
at the mess that has been made of that. Now comes Afghanistan and yet
again you are undertaking a task that is probably impossible to
complete. Or do you really think that the "movement" will die with Ben
Ladan? Or will he simply become another martyr to the cause?

I don't?? Where do you get that? Don't blame me for the previous 8 years. I
didn't vote for Bu****.

I applaud your objectives but I really wonder at your ignorance in
undertaking a task that England, the greatest empire the world had
known, tried twice and failed. the Russians, with their much shorter
lines of supply, tried it and failed. Not you are going to try it -
halfway round the world with all the logistics problems that entails,
in an area where the religion and history teaches the people to resist
"invaders" and while your nation is embroiled in the largest economic
disaster in the history of the world.

No you don't. You don't seem genuine in your applause. The alternative is to
DO NOTHING.... exactly what Bu**** did (or didn't do).

The mind boggles.

Yes. Mine does when I contemplate the narrowness of what you've stated.

[...]

We know exactly where he is, along with the Pakistanis and many western
reporters.

Feel free to have the last word. I'm done.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bruce In Bangkok March 5th 09 09:08 AM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 10:47:50 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

wrote:

As I said, I really didn't pay much attention and it was only a
impression I was left with.

But good on him if he can get out of that mess. Of course, there is
another 70,000 tip-toeing off to Afghanistan but apparently we are
getting out of Iraq... well, except for some that will be left to
ensure peace, aid the locals, or whatever.

I do wonder about the Afghan thing though. It is my certain, sure,
recollection that a number of people have gone over there to teach 'em
"what is what". None successfully, but they went. the Brits even went
twice if my memory serves me. There is that quote about "those who refuse
to read history are doomed
to repeat it".

First, Obama is just another dishonest misdirecting politician in the mold
of Clinton. His claim that he'll get US 'combat troops' out of Iraq by X
date only means he'll switch their title from combat troops to something
else - probably 'peace keepers'. So we'll remain in the morass
indefinitely but change the names we're in the morass under.

Afghanistan is scary and dangerous. I am plugged into an Afghan local
community which has close ties to the home nation and whose members travel
there regularly. The place is a mess - kept afloat by the heroin trade,
being fought over by the Russians, Pakistanis, al Qeada, and Taliban as
well as the US and the US backed government in Kabul. It makes Iraq look
like a well organized peaceful kingdom.

We cannot fix these places. We can only ruin our economy further while
leaving our dead and wounded soldiers on the field of battle. Obama is
just Bush sporting even less fiscal responsibility. He's disgusting.

Sounds like you're pretty bitter about your buddies losing the election. You
should probably get over it. Obama has been in for a month. Bush was on
vacation for the first eight months.

I've said a number of times that I haven't lived in the US for years
and have little interest in the US political system; except to wonder
at the things that are done.

It is a bit difficult to understand why they try to turf one guy out
of office for getting a blow job and don't even seem to notice when
another guy "legalizes" such things as torture and searches without a
warrant - things that you are preaching to the world are "human
rights".

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Aragorn[_2_] March 5th 09 10:50 AM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

It is a bit difficult to understand why they try to turf one guy out
of office for getting a blow job and don't even seem to notice when
another guy "legalizes" such things as torture and searches without a
warrant - things that you are preaching to the world are "human
rights".

It's not hard to understand when you remember that the both of those things,
the impeachment and the trashing of the constitution, were being done by the
same party. As for no one noticing, the Republicans have built a huge
propaganda machine called conservative Talk Radio. It's running as
background noise 24 hours a day out there in the hinterlands filling the
pickup trucks, hardware stores, and autobody shops with a constant and
subliminal stream of lies and propaganda. You wouldn't recognize the
country if you came back. This poison, which is the only source of "news"
that a huge proportion of the country (aka "The Republican Base), pays any
attention to, is like the public loudspeakers in North Korea.

This demographic was sufficient for decades to keep tipping a nearly evenly
divided country to the right. When things got sufficiently trashed by the
looting, two things happened. The comfortable and complacent on the left
woke up and a significant proportion of the talk radio listeners realized
they were being lied to.

thunder March 5th 09 11:52 AM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 16:08:59 +0700, Bruce In Bangkok wrote:

It is a bit difficult to understand why they try to turf one guy out of
office for getting a blow job and don't even seem to notice when another
guy "legalizes" such things as torture and searches without a warrant -
things that you are preaching to the world are "human rights".

But we did notice, and where it counts, the ballot box.

Gordon March 5th 09 03:30 PM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

Aragorn wrote:
[...]

Yuh know, even Wilbur is more interesting then this political crap,
run by both sides for personal benefit.

Capt. JG March 5th 09 06:12 PM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Maybe you should take an interest. No longer a US citizen? Well, ok then.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Stephen Trapani March 5th 09 07:37 PM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

Aragorn wrote:
It is a bit difficult to understand why they try to turf one guy out
of office for getting a blow job and don't even seem to notice when
another guy "legalizes" such things as torture and searches without a
warrant - things that you are preaching to the world are "human
rights".

All societies, including ours, consider it reasonable that some level of
criminal or enemy should lose many of their rights by virtue of
protecting society. When you find yourself defending the very lowest
scum of the earth, you should at least question the moral strength of
what you are arguing, shouldn't you?

It's not hard to understand when you remember that the both of those things,
the impeachment and the trashing of the constitution, were being done by the
same party. As for no one noticing, the Republicans have built a huge
propaganda machine called conservative Talk Radio. It's running as
background noise 24 hours a day out there in the hinterlands filling the
pickup trucks, hardware stores, and autobody shops with a constant and
subliminal stream of lies and propaganda. You wouldn't recognize the
country if you came back. This poison, which is the only source of "news"
that a huge proportion of the country (aka "The Republican Base), pays any
attention to, is like the public loudspeakers in North Korea.

Yeah, finally (during the Clinton era), instead of overwhelming numbers
on the side of liberally biased media, the right got their little corner
of the media pie and are doing well at carrying an audience. They are
still in the minority though. It does seem that people tend to restrict
themselves exclusively to the biased news that they favor, like you say,
but you are totally wrong about conservative media being anyone's only
choice for news. Not even close. My lefty friends pretty much never
watch or listen to conservative media. Oh how they love MSNBC and Rachel
Maddow, who is really about as biased as it gets.

If people want to truly understand what is best, they need to understand
the best arguments on both sides.

This demographic was sufficient for decades to keep tipping a nearly evenly
divided country to the right. When things got sufficiently trashed by the
looting, two things happened. The comfortable and complacent on the left
woke up and a significant proportion of the talk radio listeners realized
they were being lied to.

I'm so glad Obama and the congress won. In fact, I voted for Obama. I
wanted all the kook lefties to see all the mistakes Obama was going to
make and all the "corruption" that would still exist. This stuff is
inherent in the system and had little to do with Bush. Did you see
yesterday where the Obama administration reached a deal with the Justice
department so the Bush AG firing scandal didn't go to trial? They didn't
want to take the chance that the executive branch would lose any power
that the Bush admin. had gained.

The kooky left has been jumping on Bush for stuff that has been going on
for 200 years. Now the chickens will come home to roost.

Stephen

Capt. JG March 5th 09 09:12 PM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

"Stephen Trapani" wrote in message
Aragorn wrote:
[...]

If the media is liberally biased, by which I think you mean left-biased,
then how can they have "their little corner" that is "still in the
minority"? Either the media is left-biased or it isn't. Do you consider
Rush's millions of ditto head dunder heads a "little corner" of the media
audience?

If people want to truly understand what is best, they need to understand
the best arguments on both sides.

No. They need to understand the arguments. Sometimes, there's only one side.
This was what was wrong with the fairness doctrine, among other things.

This demographic was sufficient for decades to keep tipping a nearly
evenly divided country to the right. When things got sufficiently
trashed by the looting, two things happened. The comfortable and
complacent on the left woke up and a significant proportion of the talk
radio listeners realized they were being lied to.

By whom? Rush, Hannity, O'Really, etc. Remember... Air America isn't doing
all that great, even now.

I'm so glad Obama and the congress won. In fact, I voted for Obama. I
wanted all the kook lefties to see all the mistakes Obama was going to
make and all the "corruption" that would still exist. This stuff is
inherent in the system and had little to do with Bush. Did you see
yesterday where the Obama administration reached a deal with the Justice
department so the Bush AG firing scandal didn't go to trial? They didn't
want to take the chance that the executive branch would lose any power
that the Bush admin. had gained.

As though anyone can be perfect and not make mistakes... ? He a practical
guy, and the voters overwhelmingly support him. 80 say believe he inherited
the mess and are willing to give him a year to get things in the right
direction.

The kooky left has been jumping on Bush for stuff that has been going on
for 200 years. Now the chickens will come home to roost.

?? Huh? Bush has been around for 200 years? I thought that "demographic was
sufficient for decades to keep tipping a nearly evenly divided country to
the right." So, if that's the case, it must be Clinton's fault.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bruce In Bangkok March 6th 09 01:22 AM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 05:50:03 -0500, "Aragorn"
wrote:

[...]

My problem is that I don't live in the U.S. and everything I see is
from the "news" - and the inverted commas are deliberate. We hear
nothing about the Republican's radio system, for instance.

At the moment Obama is the hero, according to the news here and the
Swiss bank accounts seem to be covered widely - 47,000 accounts out of
how many tax payers in the United States? Knowing no details myself it
looks like a great deal of effort for what may turn out to be little
return.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Bruce In Bangkok March 6th 09 01:26 AM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Why should I take an interest in a place where I no longer reside?
Other then a sort of idle interest, mostly excited by what appears to
be the rather violent disagreements between adherents of the two
political parties - at least verbally.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Capt. JG March 6th 09 01:30 AM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

No idea.... usually citizens of a country care about that country no matter
where they live. If you've got a nice life in Bangkok, that's great. No
relatives or friends in the US?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bruce In Bangkok March 6th 09 01:35 AM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 11:44:07 -0800, Stephen Trapani
wrote:

Aragorn wrote:
It is a bit difficult to understand why they try to turf one guy out
of office for getting a blow job and don't even seem to notice when
another guy "legalizes" such things as torture and searches without a
warrant - things that you are preaching to the world are "human
rights".

All societies, including ours, consider it reasonable that some level of
criminal or enemy should lose many of their rights by virtue of
protecting society. When you find yourself defending the very lowest
scum of the earth, you should at least question the moral strength of
what you are arguing, shouldn't you?

I'm not defending anyone. I'm simply stating that people (perhaps men
mostly) find the rather violent reaction to one man doing something
that comes rather naturally and a different man doing something that
caused (and don't think it didn't) considerable loss of face for the
nation. How can a country that advocates justice and the rule of law
to foreign countries turn around and carryout the excesses that
happened?

It isn't that you tortured the people, it is that you preach justice
and rule of law to all the developing countries. Do as I say, not as I
do.

It's not hard to understand when you remember that the both of those things,
the impeachment and the trashing of the constitution, were being done by the
same party. As for no one noticing, the Republicans have built a huge
propaganda machine called conservative Talk Radio. It's running as
background noise 24 hours a day out there in the hinterlands filling the
pickup trucks, hardware stores, and autobody shops with a constant and
subliminal stream of lies and propaganda. You wouldn't recognize the
country if you came back. This poison, which is the only source of "news"
that a huge proportion of the country (aka "The Republican Base), pays any
attention to, is like the public loudspeakers in North Korea.

Yeah, finally (during the Clinton era), instead of overwhelming numbers
on the side of 'iberally biased media, the right got their little corner
[...]

I had an interesting conversation with a Vietnamese lawyer back during
the war days. I asked him who he voted for and he replied, "what is
the difference?" I asked what he meant and he said, "They are all
crooks, else why would they be in politics?" As years go by it seems
that he have have been correct.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Capt. JG March 6th 09 03:37 AM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

wrote:

Aragorn wrote:
[...]

I think that's a popular notion, but it's not really accurate. It's like
people claim that those Congress are lacking in ethics. The real issue is
that ethics are in shades of grey. It's not a black/white issue. Sure, there
are crooked politicians, just like there are crooked, unethical docs,
lawyers, priests, etc.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bruce In Bangkok March 6th 09 12:06 PM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Probably some sort of cousins or perhaps second cousins. Kids or grand
kids of my mother's sisters but if there are any left I haven't seen
them in 50 years, or more, and probably wouldn't even remember their
names.

I suppose I do care about the old country but it certainly seems like
a strange place to me now.

The quote I saw somewhere that the AVERAGE American owes $10,000 on
his credit card, for instance. I don't know whether it is true but I
read it on Usenet :-) But when I lived there nobody that I knew owed
$10,000 except on a house. Certainly not on a credit card.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Bruce In Bangkok March 6th 09 12:15 PM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

wrote:

Aragorn wrote:
[...]

I was being cynical. But, I suspect that just as an engineer wants to
design the best bridge or the banker wants to make the most money that
a politician wants to be reelected most of all. Which can slant an
individual's point of view somewhat.

And I would guess that politicians are extremely sensitive to what the
'folks at home' think of what he is doing and from my experiences the
solid, middle of the road, people don't write letters, it is the
fringe people that are the frantic letter writers so I can see how
they can get wrong ideas.

And, of course any politician who isn't doing what I think is right
must be taking bribes form somebody to vote the way he does...... :-)

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Richard Casady March 6th 09 03:31 PM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 19:15:08 +0700, Bruce In Bangkok
wrote:

I suspect that just as an engineer wants to
design the best bridge

Normally they design the minimum, that is cheapest, that will do the
job. This does not mean no safety margin. There is, however, no point
to making the deck far stronger than the piers. As for the best,
nobody wants to pay for it. They want good enough, and as cheap as
possible.

Casady

Stephen Trapani March 6th 09 03:32 PM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

wrote:

Aragorn wrote:
[...]

Again, there is a level of immorality that justifies treating people
badly. Recently the badness of human took a big step downward with the
advent of extremists who actually target and are able to murder large
groups of innocent people. This new level of badness requires a
modification of the normal response. In other words, if you strongly
suspect someone of being about to kill a large group of innocent people,
there is justification in torturing him or of course even killing him if
it helps you stop it from happening.

Now having said that, lets contrast the US response, compared to those
we are fighting. The entire country was and still is up in arms for
years in questioning the morality of dunking vicious criminals in water
and scaring them. We may have done it, but we are concerned about doing
it and spend much time trying to figure out if it is over the line so we
can stop. Meanwhile, as a recruiting tool, the enemy makes videotapes of
themselves cutting off innocent kidnap victims heads in order to attract
more people to their cause. No remorse of any sort, only further
celebration and congratulations have ever been evident. See the massive
difference? So we haven't really sunk anywhere at all, morally.

Meanwhile, if we've got a line on someone who we've discovered is about
to murder another few thousand people, what actions are justified to get
him to reveal information that can stop it? Harsh language only?

Stephen

KLC Lewis March 6th 09 03:37 PM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

wrote:

Aragorn wrote:
[...]

Our retaliation is always justified, theirs is never justified. Interesting
rulebook.

Stephen Trapani March 6th 09 03:50 PM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

Aragorn wrote:
[...]

Well, on one side we've got AP, Reuters, ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, Time
magazine, Newsweek, and a healthy smattering of radio affiliates. On the
other side we've got Fox and Limbaugh. I'm sure I left off a few lessers
on both sides. It's not even close.

If people want to truly understand what is best, they need to understand
the best arguments on both sides.

No. They need to understand the arguments. Sometimes, there's only one side.
This was what was wrong with the fairness doctrine, among other things.

If there is a conflict of opinion about what is right and wrong then
there are two conflicting arguments. Bias is essentially ignoring one
side. The only path to truth is understanding both arguments so you can
pick the better one. This doesn't require the Fairness Doctrine.

[...]
The kooky left has been jumping on Bush for stuff that has been going on
for 200 years. Now the chickens will come home to roost.

?? Huh? Bush has been around for 200 years? I thought that "demographic was
sufficient for decades to keep tipping a nearly evenly divided country to
the right." So, if that's the case, it must be Clinton's fault.

The things Bush did, like trying to increase the Presidents power, have
been going on for 200 years. In the example I gave, Obama is currently
trying to maintain Bush's gain whereby Presidential aids are considered
to be above criminal prosecution. The kooks were jumping all over Bush
as if these actions made him impeachable or evil. Apparently they
haven't noticed that Obama is picking up where Bush left off. This is
the normal balance of power struggle that occurs in our government.

Stephen

Vic Smith March 6th 09 04:51 PM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 07:32:06 -0800, Stephen Trapani
wrote:

Again, there is a level of immorality that justifies treating people
badly. Recently the badness of human took a big step downward with the
advent of extremists who actually target and are able to murder large
groups of innocent people. This new level of badness requires a
modification of the normal response. In other words, if you strongly
suspect someone of being about to kill a large group of innocent people,
there is justification in torturing him or of course even killing him if
it helps you stop it from happening.

That's a big load of hogswaller used to justify sadistic tendencies.
Antithetical to concepts of law we cherish, most importantly "innocent
until proven guilty."
It is absolutely amazing to me that Americans - who grew up with a
menu of films and print where sadistic Nazi's, Japs and mobsters
tortured innocent people and are reviled for it - fall for this 24
Hours and Dirty Harry TV crap to make decisions.
"Strongly suspect."
What the **** does that mean?
Is that less or more suspicion than there was about the weapons of
mass destruction in Iraq?
So who decides who gets tortured?
You?
I'm going to let you decide who to torture based on your "morality?"
You, a torturer?
Why would anybody trust the moral judgement of a torturer?
**** you pal.
You are too stupid to even understand what I just said, or you
wouldn't have even made those lame-ass comments.
I've got no problem with GI's shooting and killing just about anything
in sight on the battlefield. Even when their hands are up.
It's the warrior's call. Spare the girls and babies.
But even less of a problem for a bullet to the head of a torturer.
That's the guy who might "strongly suspect" and torture my son
when his only crime was to get the girl the torturer wanted.
We call this end result "the slippery slope of taking a stroll outside
the rule of law."
Ever hear the term "banality of evil?"
You exemplify it. You are one banal dude.
Did I mention you're stupid?
Of all the ****-ups of the Bush administration, getting saps to
believe that torture is acceptable conduct is the worst by far.

--Vic

Stephen Trapani March 6th 09 04:57 PM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

wrote:

Aragorn wrote:
[...]

No, a retaliation is merited based upon the objective basis of the
offense and objective moral imperative to do something. I have stated
these above. If we are targeting their innocent civilians, trying to
kill as many as possible, based upon our religion, they are justified to
use violence to stop us.

Stephen

KLC Lewis March 6th 09 05:14 PM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

"Stephen Trapani" wrote in message
No, a retaliation is merited based upon the objective basis of the offense
and objective moral imperative to do something. I have stated these above.
If we are targeting their innocent civilians, trying to kill as many as
possible, based upon our religion, they are justified to use violence to
stop us.

Stephen

We are killing people, even today, with robots and "smart bombs." From
hundreds, or even thousands, of miles away, these devices are pointed at
their targets and told to go explode. As these devices are incapable of
determining for themselves whether or not they are targeting innocent
people, they just do as they are told and kill everyone within the immediate
blast zone.

Now, you tell me: Are we "targeting their innocent civilians"?

We have the audacity to call people who are defending themselves from an
invading army "terrorists," while our weapons are launched at them from a
safe distance. We shudder at the thought of civilians who strap explosives
to themselves and give their lives to take out the enemy, calling them
"cowards," while we kill them from another continent at no danger to
ourselves. And any innocents we happen to kill are "regretable accidents,"
or "collateral damage."

Excuse me while become I sick to my stomach.

Capt. JG March 6th 09 07:50 PM

Yeah, I know "plonk"

Aragorn wrote:
[...]

Come on! You said the media is left-biased and then you said they have their
little corner. Claiming all the major news outlets are left-biased is pretty
hard to justify, given that they're all controlled by major corps., which
are not exactly pro left.

If people want to truly understand what is best, they need to understand
the best arguments on both sides.

No. They need to understand the arguments. Sometimes, there's only one
side. This was what was wrong with the fairness doctrine, among other
things.

If there is a conflict of opinion about what is right and wrong then there
are two conflicting arguments. Bias is essentially ignoring one side. The
only path to truth is understanding both arguments so you can pick the
better one. This doesn't require the Fairness Doctrine.

No. Sorry. If you have someone who believes in rape vs. respecting women,
you can't claim that there are two conflicting arguments.

[...]
The kooky left has been jumping on Bush for stuff that has been going on
for 200 years. Now the chickens will come home to roost.

?? Huh? Bush has been around for 200 years? I thought that "demographic
was sufficient for decades to keep tipping a nearly evenly divided
country to the right." So, if that's the case, it must be Clinton's
fault.

The things Bush did, like trying to increase the Presidents power, have
been going on for 200 years. In the example I gave, Obama is currently
trying to maintain Bush's gain whereby Presidential aids are considered to
be above criminal prosecution. The kooks were jumping all over Bush as if
these actions made him impeachable or evil. Apparently they haven't
noticed that Obama is picking up where Bush left off. This is the normal
balance of power struggle that occurs in our government.

Like the Yoo memos basically establishing the legal justification for a
dictatorship. Well, ok.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com