BoatBanter.com

-   -   Look what I found in the archives (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/103004-re-look-what-i-found-archives.html)

[email protected] February 27th 09 05:53 PM

Look what I found in the archives

Ah, still, that is some list.

Wayne.B wrote:
Indeed. *

JaxAshby too, who would have guessed. *

Nah, there was a "real" JaxAshby, but it looks like he gave up on
usenet after he got too famous (took a couple years). Several sock-
puppet players ("Bobsprit" for example) imitated him but were never as
funny.

.... Jax immortalized himself in my
mind by once suggesting to someone that they cruise to Lake Ontario
via the NYS Canals, the Genesee River and Rochester.

There is only one small problem with that route:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HighFallsGenesee.jpg

Yeah, I remember that... that was the real Jax... he also made many
memorable posts about "the deadly rocks & cliffs of Cape Hatteras"

DSK

Edgar February 27th 09 06:33 PM

Look what I found in the archives

wrote in message
Ah, still, that is some list.

Wayne.B wrote:
Indeed.

JaxAshby too, who would have guessed.

Nah, there was a "real" JaxAshby, but it looks like he gave up on
usenet after he got too famous (took a couple years). Several sock-
puppet players ("Bobsprit" for example) imitated him but were never as
funny.

.... Jax immortalized himself in my
mind by once suggesting to someone that they cruise to Lake Ontario
via the NYS Canals, the Genesee River and Rochester.

There is only one small problem with that route:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HighFallsGenesee.jpg

Yeah, I remember that... that was the real Jax... he also made many
memorable posts about "the deadly rocks & cliffs of Cape Hatteras"

I enjoyed his claim that he could prove by geometry that the piston in an
engine travelled further on the upstroke than the downstroke (or maybe it
was vice versa)

Marty[_2_] February 27th 09 11:57 PM

Look what I found in the archives

Edgar wrote:
wrote in message
Ah, still, that is some list.

Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

That is not what he said. He claimed, correctly, that the piston
travels further from 90 degrees before TDC to 90 degrees after TDC than
it does from 90 degrees after TDC to 90 degrees before TDC.

That being said he had no idea that the arc described taken up by a
centenary is a hyperbolic function.

Oh, and he did write a "definitive" treatise on excercise equipment.

Cheers
Martin

Brian Whatcott February 28th 09 02:01 PM

Marty wrote:
That being said he had no idea that the arc described taken up by a
centenary is a hyperbolic function.

Cheers
Martin

Actually, the trajectory of a centenary is from mewling and puking to
decrepitude....

:-)

Brian W

[email protected] March 1st 09 02:54 AM

Brian Whatcott wrote:
Actually, the trajectory of a centenary is from mewling and puking to
decrepitude....

:-)

That could be a hyperbolic function too

Sorry, couldn't resist