BoatBanter.com

-   -   '1978 25' hunter replace keel bolts (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/10275-1978-25-hunter-replace-keel-bolts.html)

James O'Brien June 30th 04 01:45 AM

'1978 25' hunter replace keel bolts

Howdi,
Does anyone know how difficult it is to replace keel bolts in a lead
keel hunter. My starboard keel bolt broke as I was trying to torque
it. It was heavily corroded and stripped around the nut so I had put
washers on the corroded portion and was tightening when it broke on
that portion. The aftmost bolt has a similar situation but did not
break.
Since the bolts are placed into the molten steel at construction does
that mean I can't drive them out and put new bolts?
--jim

James O'Brien July 7th 04 02:56 AM

'1978 25' hunter replace keel bolts

Well I'll answer my own question in case anyone is searching.
This "solution" is besides sending the keel to an actual foundry.
The guy at Hunter suggested putting in lag screws, which is not ideal,
but pressed for time, that's what I did. I drilled into the led with
a 3/8" bit, and put 1/2" stainless steel 3" lag screws. Note of
caution - use plenty of wd-40 or some lubricant or the bolts can get
hot and bend. Hand tightening the screws from the beginning is the
way to go.
A more ideal solution, which I'll do later, is to drill into the side
of the keel to meet a 1/2" hole straight down, and put in 1/2"
stainless steel or brass bolts. Put the nut in from the hole in the
side and fill the hole.