BoatBanter.com

-   -   Head and Sink Drain (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/10240-head-sink-drain.html)

Peggie Hall July 2nd 04 08:57 PM

Head and Sink Drain

rhys wrote:

I've done this on my Great Lakes boat with no problem. I have (from
the hull up)

a seacock,
a six inch piece of marine hose (double clamped both ends)
a reducing T-fitting to a 3/4" water intake to the head (just below
the waterline and double SS-hose clamped)
about a 12 inch length of double SS-hose clamped marine hose
a plastic ballcock with appropriate barbs
a short length of clamped hose going into the drain pipe (about 10
inches) of the head sink.

Methodology is as follows:

Normally, both seacock on hull and the plastic ball valve are CLOSED.

When I want to use the head, I reach into the space beneath the sink
and open the seacock. The hoses fill with water, slightly under
pressure as the entrance is about 18 inches beneath the waterline.

I use an old Brydon manual head that's about kaput, but it works for
the light duty I subject it to.

When finished, I flush to a 30 gallon holding tank.

I close the seacock.

To empty the sink, I simply open both the plastic ball valve and the
seacock. Grey water leaves the boat. I suppose a smidgen might get
into the head intake pipe, but visually, at least, this is not an
issue.

No problems in three years with this, except for a visit to the
Travelift when the seacock split due to "failure to winterize
properly" by me.

If Peggie says this is OK, feel free to swipe this "design".

Works ok for me.

Obviously, an offshore set-up would be simpler, but I flush WITH the
lake, not INTO the lake G.

Actually, you don't have a choice...it's illegal to flush directly
overboard--or dump a tank--in any US and most Canadian inland waters
including the Great Lakes. You must be out to sea at least 3 miles from
the nearest point on the whole US coastline to legally do either.

The only thing at issue, though, is where the DISCHARGE from the toilet
goes...the flush water source doesn't matter. So there's no need to
"secure" an intake thru-hull in any waters, only any overboard discharge
thru-hulls and/or y-valves coming OUT of a toilet or tank.
--
Peggie
----------

rhys July 4th 04 10:23 PM

Head and Sink Drain

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 19:57:45 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

Works ok for me.

Glad to hear it...it's the sort of "brainwave" you don't want to have
bite you aftwards down the line.

snip

The only thing at issue, though, is where the DISCHARGE from the toilet
goes...the flush water source doesn't matter. So there's no need to
"secure" an intake thru-hull in any waters, only any overboard discharge
thru-hulls and/or y-valves coming OUT of a toilet or tank.

Just the deck fitting and the vent...sorry, spider nursery...

R.

Horace Brownbag July 5th 04 02:59 AM

Head and Sink Drain

wrote:

Works ok for me.

Glad to hear it...it's the sort of "brainwave" you don't want to have
bite you aftwards down the line.

snip

The only thing at issue, though, is where the DISCHARGE from the toilet
goes...the flush water source doesn't matter. So there's no need to
"secure" an intake thru-hull in any waters, only any overboard discharge
thru-hulls and/or y-valves coming OUT of a toilet or tank.

This was the question I had. And if I understand it, I can yank 10
feet of hose; git rid of a cluster fouled up valve configuration; and
have a leaner-meaner system....and solve it with a nylon wire-tie.

I owe my allegiance to the Dunny Queen. I just wish there were a
better title.

Peggie Hall July 5th 04 04:36 PM

Head and Sink Drain

Horace Brownbag wrote:
I owe my allegiance to the Dunny Queen. I just wish there were a
better title.

There is. A writer named Sandy Lindsey interviewed me for a magazine
article several years ago...in it, she gave me the title "Head
Mistress." It was such a major improvement on every other title I'd
been given that I immediately adopted it as my username on all the
forums in which I'm the resident plumber.

--
Peggie