BoatBanter.com

-   -   Vovo Penta KAD42 & KAD43 engine raw water cooling circuits (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/10161-vovo-penta-kad42-kad43-engine-raw-water-cooling-circuits.html)

Gwynne Spencer June 7th 04 05:14 PM

Vovo Penta KAD42 & KAD43 engine raw water cooling circuits

I live on the west coast of south Florida; in the summer the Gulf of
Mexico water temperature sometimes exceed 90 degrees F. Under these
conditions the cooling sytem becomes very marginal, sometimes not
being able to cool properly at anything over moderate cruise settings
(about 3200 RPM)

The raw water cooling system circuit in my KAD42 engines goes as
follows:

Raw water pump - strainer - intercooler - oil cooler - heat
exchanger -
exhaust elbow

The end result is that the heat exchanger is working with raw water
that has al;ready been heated by several previous units.

I believe that the KAD43 engine (almost identical to my KAD42) uses a
different sequence of exchanger connections. Questions:

What does the raw water flow in the KAD43 look like (please list the
units in order of flow, like I did above for my KAD42)

Are the part numbers for the oil cooler and the heat exchanger the
same for both engines? If different, what physical differences are
there (such as larger heat exchanger, etc.)

Any thoughts about the possibility of me reworking my KAD42 engines to
the same flow sequenec as the KAD43?

Gwynne Spencer, Punta Gorda, Florida