BoatBanter.com

-   -   oday 25, for the beginner or not? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/10150-oday-25-beginner-not.html)

Quest0029 June 6th 04 09:06 PM

oday 25, for the beginner or not?

ill think about that bit
about mass produced boats commin apart

Actually it's not really an issue unless
you plan on making long passages in
heavy offshore conditions, but I'm sure
you'll be picking your weather windows
carefully and will upgrade rigging and hardware
(if needed) for cruising.
If you opt for a shoal draft boat you will have
more anchoring options in order to wait for
accomodating conditions. Many are doing it.

Winkxbookx June 6th 04 09:44 PM

oday 25, for the beginner or not?

If you opt for a shoal draft boat you will have
more anchoring options in order to wait for
accomodating conditions. Many are doing it

We recently were talking with a Miami couple who just came back from 3 months
cruising in the Bahamas.
They went as far south as Mayaguana, their boat-
a Macgregor Venture 22 !

Bob

Lee Huddleston June 7th 04 05:43 AM

oday 25, for the beginner or not?

Chris,

I have owned and sailed an O'Day 25 since January 1980. I have also
sailed in the Bahamas and parts of the Caribbean, among other places.
The O'Day would be excellent for sailing to and in the Bahamas. I
have the keel/centerboard version which would be outstanding for all
the shallow areas in the Bahamas. Especially in areas such as the
Abacos, the O'Day would be better than a lot of larger boats.

That being said, I cannot recommend the O'Day for the rest of the
Caribbean. The boats were built stronger than many other brands at
the time, and her design is much safer than others of the same size
(e.g., full bridge deck rather than companionway extending to the
cockpit sole), but I feel that she is just a little too small for the
larger seas of the Caribbean. The O'Day 25 would handle the heavy
stuff better than you could, but it would be an uncomfortable ride.

The O'Day 25 was/is a very good boat. Designed well, built strong,
good accommodations for her size, reasonably fast (I just won a
regatta in my old O'Day 25 two weeks ago), and can be trailered around
the Country to lots of great lakes, bays etc. She was designed for
lakes and coastal sailing, but the Bahamas are just next door.

I you have any specific questions about the O'Day 25, just ask.

Lee Huddleston
s/v Orion (O'Day 25
s/v Truelove (Mauritius 43)