Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Whisker pole track & rivets

I am investigating the best way to fasten a 4 metre long alu t-track
for my whisker/spi pole to the alu mast.

Currently I have a short length of track (1 metre) which is fastened
with SS screws. I am not satisfied with this, because the screws react
with the aluminium of the mast and dissolve the thread. The track
comes off. I also find it quite difficult to drill and tap the holes
in the mast accurately sitting in a bosun's chair.

My question is whether it would be better to fasten the track with SS
rivets dipped in some isolating compound. At least I wouldn't have the
problem of the tiny threads corroding away and loosening the
fasteners. Also I think that I have a bit more tolerance for drilling
the holes + I can reuse the existing worn out holes to put the rivets
in (instead of tapping one size up).

But, how strong is it compared to screws?

And, how would I go with off-the-shelf T-track which is made for
countersunk heads?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Joost.

Whisker Pole Suggestions padeen Cruising 3 May 11th 06 03:35 AM
Whisker pole length Roger Long Cruising 4 December 31st 05 04:15 PM
Whisker Pole (revisited) Steve Cruising 2 May 10th 05 06:47 PM
Whisker Pole length?? Steve Cruising 7 May 3rd 05 04:16 AM
FS: Whisker Pole in Massachusetts Edward Reiss Marketplace 1 May 24th 04 04:05 AM