BoatBanter.com

-   -   Sampson Post (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/10073-sampson-post.html)

suji May 22nd 04 12:08 AM

Sampson Post

I am just buying a Westsail 32, and it has no sampson post. I am rather
puzzled. Do you think it was made like that originally? What do you
fix the anchor to?

Zama May 23rd 04 04:27 AM

Sampson Post

SO, what does it have right now, nothing?

)))º`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸)))º¸.

·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. )))º`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸)))º

Sam May 23rd 04 02:32 PM

Sampson Post

suji wrote in message ...
I am just buying a Westsail 32, and it has no sampson post. I am rather
puzzled. Do you think it was made like that originally? What do you
fix the anchor to?

Ask the person you're buying it from what they did.

MLapla4120 May 23rd 04 07:29 PM

Sampson Post

I would be careful about this. It seems like
it should have two posts on each side of the windlass. It could be costly to
install and you have to ask, as you are, why
isn't it there? By the way cleats won't
work.

W32 owner

MLapla4120 May 23rd 04 07:36 PM

Sampson Post

To add more, the sampson posts are on
either side of the bowsprit aft with a through-bolt anchoring the bowsprit.
The anchor chain and rode flows off the the roller off the bowsprit about one
third of the way off the bow. The bitter end of the rode
is tied inside the chain locker. That is my
anchoring arrangement.

Jim May 23rd 04 08:00 PM

Sampson Post

Gee, I've been using cleats for about 40 years. Didn't know they didn't
work.

I've only anchored about 500 times, on boats from 20 to 85 feet. Maybe I
don't have enough experience.

MLapla4120 May 24th 04 03:43 AM

Sampson Post

I have a Westsail 32, and that is the boat
the original poster was referring to and
the cleats are on either side of the bow
about 6 feet back. This would mean that
the anchor line would not be straight over the bow. I also wonder how easy it
would be retrieve the anchor when the
windlass is directly behind the bowsprit.
It is possible that it would make contact
with the whisker stays that support the
bow sprit.
That is the reason I said it wouldn't work.
I didn't intend to imply you didn't know what you were doing.

Jim May 24th 04 04:39 AM

Sampson Post/after looking at the picture

I'd through bolt a big cleat aft of the lead from the windlass. You
could build a Samson post, but why? A big cleat will work fine (and may
be stronger).

suji wrote:
MLapla4120 wrote:

To add more, the sampson posts are on
either side of the bowsprit aft with a through-bolt anchoring the
bowsprit.
The anchor chain and rode flows off the the roller off the bowsprit
about one
third of the way off the bow. The bitter end of the rode
is tied inside the chain locker. That is my
anchoring arrangement.

Thanks for all the help. I shall ask the current owner. I should also
like to know if the arrangement is standard (if any) on a Westsail 32
with no sampson post, and what fixtures are going to be man enough to
swing the boat from.

Rufus Laggren May 28th 04 08:11 AM

Sampson Post

The samson post(s) help control the aft end of the bowsprit, as well as
offering a strong point to belay rode and lines. On my W32 the posts
rest on the stem and are heavily tabbed to the hull there; this probably
transfers to the hull some sprit loads that would otherwise end on the
foredeck.

From your photo, the boat looks very neat, so there is a good chance
that it has been taken care of properly. Even so, it appears a tad short
of belaying points for rode and lines. And in case it's not been
mentioned yet, it would be good to have a large backing plate(s) of 1/8
SS, 1/4 Alum, or at least good 3/4 ply under all the sprit bolts -
examine under the foredeck from the chain and/or sail locker.

Good luck. Rufus