posted to rec.boats.building

Default 17’ 1959 Dorsett Catalina (HELP)!

Hello everyone this is my first time trying to tottally re-build my
1959 Dorsett! The boat sat out in the weather for 17+ years (yes a
very long time) so you can imagine all of the wood was completely
rotted! I think im sort of handy so i decided to FIX-ER-UP well so far
i tottally gutted it and i have 3 out of 6 new stringers fiberglassed
back in-now my question is i completely chipped the old rotted transom
out and now it is time to replace it-first off what kind of glue
should i use- im cutting new transom out of 3/4 inch treated plywood
but gonna double it up for a solid 1 1/2 inch (the original was only 1
inch) -to glue the new transom to the back fiberglass and i really DO
NOT understand what keeps my 50 HP johnson motor (very heavy) from
rippen the back of the boat off!
ANY-N-ALL HELP APPRECIATED
SKIPP

--
Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.BoatingForumz.com interface
Thread archive: http://www.BoatingForumz.com/17-1959...ict100100.html

On Oct 10, 1:22*am, skipp wrote:
[...]

Thread archive:http://www.BoatingForumz.com/17-1959...ELP-ftopict100...

well since you got epoxy for the glass job. seems to me you use the
epoxy.
posted to rec.boats.building

When I redid my old Proline I skipped the wood on the transom and went
with (sounds strange but bear with me) sheets of smooth green roofing
fiberglass sheets 1 inch thick total (bout 8 sheets, then made a hollow
pocket, another 1/2 inch thick (just cut out the center of some more roofing
sheets, filled the pocket with resined in styrofoam then made the front
plate of the transom the same as the back only with 4 sheets of fiberglass.
Each layer was roughed up and slammed with a slow cure mix of resin
(regular home depot polyester resin) by addin just a touch less cure and
rolled the resin on the sheets with a regular paint roller, pressed the
sheets together overnight with railroad ties each layer to be sure.
Also since I am running a pair of 300 black max's I added a 1/4 inch
titanium plate at the backside of the transom and used world cat mounting
plates on the inside.
She served well until I sold her last year. Pretty sure there are still
pics up of her in the photo galleries on http://www.marinedynamics.com but I
have not looked in a while. For the wood look I would add just veneer and
use resin first followed by clear gelcoat - lot safer than wood and it is a
lifetime fix versus a 5 or 10 year fix.
Just a suggestion
"skipp" wrote in message
news:387633_86f5449c753005cc8ea73c86ee4d5c9d@boati ngforumz.com...
[...]

1959 SeaSkiff. Looking for old friends... pwiggins Boat Building 0 October 4th 06 01:56 AM
1963 16' Dorsett Daytona sbinky General 3 September 28th 06 07:30 PM
Dorsett Catalina Bill Kiene General 2 September 25th 05 01:11 AM
Catalina Dorsett ? Keggor General 1 July 13th 05 02:53 PM
1959 40' CC SeaSkiff for sale Paul Boat Building 0 August 26th 04 07:54 PM