BoatBanter.com

-   -   Aluminum boat seats (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/98518-aluminum-boat-seats.html)

[email protected] September 27th 08 01:57 PM

Aluminum boat seats

Hi all,

I have an old Starcraft 14' aluminum rowboat with three
flat wooden seats. The seats are old, rotting out, I
need to replace them. They are just pieces of 1"x12".

I'm wondering what type of wood to use, the guy I bought
it from said he had replaced them years ago with teak.

Anyone know what type of wood to use? Teak a good idea?
Maybe just a piece of pine?

Thanks,
Julien

Gordon September 27th 08 04:21 PM

Aluminum boat seats

wrote:
Hi all,

I have an old Starcraft 14' aluminum rowboat with three
flat wooden seats. The seats are old, rotting out, I
need to replace them. They are just pieces of 1"x12".

I'm wondering what type of wood to use, the guy I bought
it from said he had replaced them years ago with teak.

Anyone know what type of wood to use? Teak a good idea?
Maybe just a piece of pine?

Thanks,
Julien

The teak would cost more then the boat is worth.
Doug fir would be fine.
Gordon

Brian Whatcott September 29th 08 01:24 AM

Aluminum boat seats

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 05:57:10 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Hi all,

I have an old Starcraft 14' aluminum rowboat with three
flat wooden seats. The seats are old, rotting out, I
need to replace them. They are just pieces of 1"x12".

I'm wondering what type of wood to use, the guy I bought
it from said he had replaced them years ago with teak.

Anyone know what type of wood to use? Teak a good idea?
Maybe just a piece of pine?

Thanks,
Julien

Red or white cedar is well regarded for use near water.

Brian W