Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.building

Default Restoration project (Lido 14)

So I've reclaimed our family's old Lido 14, and I'm going to start the restoration process
on it. The guy that had been "taking care" of it for the past few years let the poor boat
just sit and gather dirt. He sanded the hull down (apparently intending to repaint it),
but never finished the job.

Basically, the rudder and centerboard need substantial work. I've done some fiberglass
work before, so I can reinforce the rough areas and seal the rest with epoxy.

The hull needs some fiberglass work too, especially on the transom (old epoxy has cracked
and started to pull away from the wood in some areas) and the floor of the cockpit. I
also need to replace all of the fittings, which brings me to my questions:

1: How can I repair the cracked transom epoxy? Do I just cut/chip away the delaminating
parts, and reseal?

2: What epoxy/fiberglass combination would work best for all these repairs? I'm used to
using woven plies from doing work on aircraft, but it appears the boat has glass mats that
seem to be just random jumbles of long fibers.

3: How do I repair holes where fittings attached? I have a feeling that a lot of them
have either stripped out or rotted, and I don't want to be putting my mast fitting into
rotted wood. Can I overdrill the hole, plug with a dowel or similar, then glass it in and
redrill the hole?

4: Finally, how should I go about getting the hull repainted? I live in an apartment
complex, which rules out spraying it myself.

Thanks in advance

BE - Lido PM\(ZTB\) Tall Ship Photos 0 April 23rd 07 07:58 PM
An Absolutely Incredible Salvage & Restoration Project.... Don White General 1 March 31st 04 07:50 PM
Where can you buy crystal for windows for a restoration project? Mohan P Boat Building 1 March 18th 04 06:25 AM
Chris-craft bottom restoration and dry docking after restoration Anthony Boat Building 1 January 4th 04 03:36 AM
lido 14 gocasper ASA 0 October 2nd 03 04:15 AM