Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.building

Default Gelcoat question

About 3 months ago, I bought 1 quart of clear gelcoat. Didn't get
around to using it for about a month. When I went to open it up, it
was pretty hard and unuseable.

I bought another quart from the same seller about 2 weeks ago, and
opened it up within a week. This time, the consistency was about that
of grape jelly. At no time was any of this liquid.

I've worked with surfboard fiberglass resin and thought gelcoat would
be similar liquid consistency.

Am I wrong or:

a) Was unlucky, got two bad batches and need to take it up with the
seller?

b) Waited too long to use it? I don't see how it can harden up like
that within a week.

c) Need to add something else to liquify it or thin it, like acetone.
I tried acetone, but it doesn't take out clumping.

d) Leave gel-coat repair to a professional. I've done plenty of
fiberglass repair and didn't think gelcoat would be that different.

A little advice is much appreciated.

L.

Need a Sources of "Styrene" for Gelcoat Repair [email protected] General 2 April 24th 06 05:42 PM
On matching gelcoat [email protected] Cruising 4 March 14th 06 08:55 PM
gelcoat Terry Spragg Boat Building 0 November 30th 05 06:11 PM
gelcoat Brian Nystrom Boat Building 0 November 30th 05 01:54 PM
Another strip-plank question - a bit long Pete Boat Building 3 January 12th 04 08:03 PM