BoatBanter.com

-   -   Cracks in canoe gelcoat (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/78940-cracks-canoe-gelcoat.html)

George Reily March 10th 07 02:48 AM

Cracks in canoe gelcoat

Hi, I just purchased a 24 year old fiberglass canoe for cheap. I have
repaired two holes with west systems epoxy and plan to paint with
interlux brightsides linear polyurethane. My prob is as I started to
sand one of the holes I repaired with the orbital sander, there has
appeared several other star shaped cracks in the gelcoat. There is a
bit of flex in the canoe hull where these showed up. Do I have to
grind them out and epoxy or will the poly paint act as a sufficiant
coating for calm river and lakd use? Thanks

Brian Nystrom March 12th 07 12:25 PM

Cracks in canoe gelcoat

George Reily wrote:
Hi, I just purchased a 24 year old fiberglass canoe for cheap. I have
repaired two holes with west systems epoxy and plan to paint with
interlux brightsides linear polyurethane. My prob is as I started to
sand one of the holes I repaired with the orbital sander, there has
appeared several other star shaped cracks in the gelcoat. There is a
bit of flex in the canoe hull where these showed up. Do I have to
grind them out and epoxy or will the poly paint act as a sufficiant
coating for calm river and lakd use? Thanks

See my comments in the kayak hull repair thread.

George Reily March 21st 07 07:17 PM

Cracks in canoe gelcoat

Thanks