BoatBanter.com

-   -   Hull Design software (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/78764-hull-design-software.html)

rkrite March 3rd 07 12:54 PM

Hull Design software

Hi,

I would like to know if a type of software exists...

I would like the software to act as a virtual hull performance testing
tank. Something that can have a basic hull design, perhaps some kind
of CAD software, that allows the drawing to be submerged into a
virtual water depth, and display the effect to water that a travelling
hull would do.

Any ideas where I should be looking for such software?

Something to run on Linux is preferable, but will take any directions
at this stage.

Thanks

Matt Colie March 3rd 07 01:57 PM

Hull Design software

RK,

There are several hull design program packages out there, but those that
I know of (I have not done the search recently) were all hydrostatic
property and fairness evaluators. ProSurf from New Wave was one that I
evaluated.

What you seem to be looking for is a virtual towing tank package. The
last one of these that I knew of ran on a Cray. Mind you, what was the
domain of a supercomputer not very long ago may run on today's desktop.

Open channel CFD (computational fluid dynamics) is still not a simple
operation.

Good Luck
Matt Colie
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Pathological Sailor

[email protected] March 4th 07 02:54 AM

Hull Design software

rkrite wrote:
Hi,

I would like to know if a type of software exists...

I would like the software to act as a virtual hull performance testing
tank. Something that can have a basic hull design, perhaps some kind
of CAD software, that allows the drawing to be submerged into a
virtual water depth, and display the effect to water that a travelling
hull would do.

Any ideas where I should be looking for such software?

Something to run on Linux is preferable, but will take any directions
at this stage.

Thanks

You might take a look at what Delftship - http://www.delftship.net/
offers. The core
program is available as a freeware download, and modules can be
purchased to do
additional computational tasks as the state of your project dictates.
Register and
download the docs, etc.

Frank