BoatBanter.com

-   -   Wiring Anodes (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/78235-wiring-anodes.html)

[email protected] February 11th 07 09:09 PM

Wiring Anodes

Is it necessary to wire the anode to the keel? The reason I ask is
that I have a zinc anode connected to the engine & the prop but not
the keel. When I put a volt meter from the keel bolt to the engine I
got a smal reading, about .5volt!

[email protected] February 13th 07 05:32 PM

Wiring Anodes

It's difficult to generalize on electrical grounding / bonding /
corrosion protection issues; the vessel's entire metal infrastructure
needs to be factored in, especially if a sailboat with a mast that
requires lightning protection.

See Chapter 4 of Nigel Calder's excellent 'Boatowner's Mechanical and
Electrical Manual' for a thorough discussion of the topic.

MW