BoatBanter.com

-   -   low ratio self tailing winches? (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/77643-low-ratio-self-tailing-winches.html)

Shaun Van Poecke January 20th 07 09:08 AM

low ratio self tailing winches?

has anyone heard of low ratio (say, 6:1) self tailing winches? I really
dont need a high powered wicnh for my boat, but it sure would be nice to
have a couple of self tailers as well as a couple of standards to make life
a bit easier as i mostly sail solo. The offerings ive seen from the big
companies only have self tailers in 16:1 and better and start at around
AU$600

Thanks,
Shaun

Garland Gray II January 20th 07 01:26 PM

low ratio self tailing winches?

Andersen makes a 9.5:1.
Less than that and you are probably talking an ungeared winch.
Perhaps you could use a "Wincher", the blue rubber ring.

Jim Conlin January 20th 07 08:59 PM

low ratio self tailing winches?

I had the blue 'Winchers' on the genoa winches of a 35' sloop for 15 years.
They're easier to wrap and unwrap than a self-tailer, but it takes practice
to know when they might slip. For an application where you'll only want to
pull a couple of feet under load, they're a cheap solution. As they don't
strip themselves, they're of marginal usefulness for mainsheets or halyards.

oups.com...

Garland Gray II January 20th 07 09:33 PM

low ratio self tailing winches?

Shaun, winchers certainly aren't the equal of self tailers, but they can be
helpful.
And Jim, the only one I've ever had was one I installed on the main halyard
winch on the mast. Mounted on a vertical plane, a partial wrap could easily
batted off every few turns of the handle. It worked much better than with
out as I could winch without pausing to grap higher on the tail. This could
be different with the winch on deck winching a long tail.

oups.com...

CAH January 21st 07 09:14 PM

low ratio self tailing winches?

The blue wincher rings as far as I know not worth the try.

I have them but only use them occasionally. Even so, they are absolutely worth
every penny when you bang a shin and it's there as a cushion between you and the
winch!

Well from what I read hear I think they are worth the try, there is a
large price diffence, so even if they just sort of do the job, then
they might be a good deal when price is taken in to consideration. I
belive you can buy them at www.watski.com dealers.

Mads
www.winches.dk