BoatBanter.com

-   -   Freeze protection for winter boat use (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/75602-freeze-protection-winter-boat-use.html)

Blackie November 6th 06 02:34 PM

Freeze protection for winter boat use

Up to now I have always winterized by I/O by letting the engine pull
antifreeze in thru the cooling water intakes on the outdrive. I now
live on the lake and here in the Carolinas we have freezing temps in
the winter, but we also have nice days all winter long and I would like
to be able to take the boat out at times. Is there an easy way to
prevent freezing in the engine and still be able to take the boat out
when it's nice? I've also tried draining the water out of the engine,
but that is a real pain.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

bowgus November 10th 06 12:51 AM

Blackie wrote:
Up to now I have always winterized by I/O by letting the engine pull
antifreeze in thru the cooling water intakes on the outdrive. I now
live on the lake and here in the Carolinas we have freezing temps in
the winter, but we also have nice days all winter long and I would like
to be able to take the boat out at times. Is there an easy way to
prevent freezing in the engine and still be able to take the boat out
when it's nice? I've also tried draining the water out of the engine,
but that is a real pain.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

If you're up for it, get an old beater with an outboard for winter
(because they're self draining).