BoatBanter.com

-   -   Welding Rods - Stainless 316 to mild steel (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/74371-welding-rods-stainless-316-mild-steel.html)

CS September 25th 06 07:28 PM

Welding Rods - Stainless 316 to mild steel

What arc welding rods are recommended to weld 316 to mild steel???

TVMIA

Glenn Ashmore September 25th 06 08:12 PM

Welding Rods - Stainless 316 to mild steel

When welding two different grades of steel always use the higher grade
filler. In this case that would be 316L rod.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

oups.com...

bushman September 26th 06 11:11 AM

Welding Rods - Stainless 316 to mild steel

ask this question on sci.engr.joining.welding
-Allen

boat_dreams September 27th 06 04:35 AM

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
When welding two different grades of steel always use the higher grade
filler. In this case that would be 316L rod.

Glenn is right in general. But which is more important for your
situation--corrosion resistance or toughness? 7018 low hydrogen or 6011
general purpose rod can be the better choice--depending on the joint.